hi there (questions about folding on a Mac)

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by red_dog007, Aug 10, 2005.

1. red_dog007 macrumors newbie

I fold but for a different team. Though I ask about Apple computers and they dont respond. Very few mac buff's at those forums.

So I thought that I would ask here.

I have never really been around Apple's before. My dad's wife is a Apple buff though. Loves them to death. I figure that I would love them too because I love to do video editing. So, she ordered one for the family. It is a PowerMac G5 @ 1.8GHz. Now how well will this fold? PPW wise? Like a P4 @ 3ghz?

Does the cpu have something like HT so two processes can be ran?

Are powermac's at 1.8ghz dual cpu or just single? I really hoped that she had got the 2ghz one but she got 1.8 some how and I cant even find it on apples site. She only ordered it last week and we should be getting it something this week.

thanks for the help.

Also, does it get hot at 100%?

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Macs don't have hyperthreading, but they run multiple processes very well, far superior to Windows machines actually, especially on dual-CPU models. 1.8 GHz PowerMacs can be either single or dual processor (also see this). Some can hold 4 GB of RAM and PCI slots, some 8 GB with PCI-X. Depends on the model. All PowerMacs get fairly hot at 100%. The fans will keep the case from getting too hot but they can get noisy with 9 fans all running at max speed. Check out Barefeats for some comparisons of various models (there are other 1.8 tests on the site but you'll have to hunt around for them). Also try this test. I don't know about folding but I'm sure if you do a Google search for folding you can easily find tables of how fast various computers will do it.

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

The chip averages around 100-150 points a day, by Dreadnought's quotes in other threads. The G5's are only single processor, however there are some that contain two processors not dual core though. The 1.8ghz are not in the new line.

I hope your gonna switch to our team, 3446 ;) Especially if you have an Apple.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

He, I wanted to say that! I have a dual 1.8 (the first model), and I run two instances of F@H 24/7. You don't here the fans any louder then when they are folding 100% or when the cpu is idle. The average for a 1.8 G5 s about 100-135 point per day, now, with all the (s)tinkers that especially Macs get (or so it seems), it's more about 100 points per day. Have fun with your new Mac, and if it feels slow, put more ram in it (more then 1 GB), and then it really flies!

5. red_dog007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice, they seem to fold very well. I hope that it is a Dually that my dad's wife ordered!

Do these have SSE/2/3? Can I use the -forceasm in the target to get a nice little boost?

Do they overclock good? Can you overclock them? Is it wise to do so?

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

euhhh, no, no, no, no and no! It's probably a single 1.8. The dual 1.8's are out of production for a while now. But you can however overclock the graphicscard if it is from ati! I have a stock 9600 and so far I overclocked it 25%, and I still can go further!