1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Hidden Details from iPhone Keynote Speech

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Actioncorp TV posts an interesting video (Youtube) detailing some features of the iPhone which were glossed over during the keynote.

These "hidden" features include:

- Calendar screenshot, and interface
    - Google maps traffic
    - Letter tapping to "jump" in lists
    - Ringtone syncing from iTunes

ActioncorpTV has also posted a higher quality version on their website.

Apple introduced the iPhone at Macworld San Francisco 2007 in January. The iPhone is expected to be released in June 2007, but a teaser ad is expected during the Academy Awards on Sunday Feb 25th, 2007.

2. macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

The letter tapping to jump in lists may have not been in the Keynote but it was in the presentations at MWSF. For the record...

3. macrumors 6502

PIM syncing can hardly count for a 'hidden' feature.

4. macrumors 68040

Grimace

interesting stuff -- good work!

5. macrumors 68000

None of this was glossed over in my book. People that think it's just an apple branded smartphone need to go back and watch the Keynote. This thing is the most advance iPod to date. Amazing iPod! Can anyone's iPod do cover flow? And as far as a phone goes, how many of you can surf through your voicemails on the screen, in any order? Answer, none of you. Who has an actual web browser? Who has iPhoto basically built in? Have you folks looked at the split screen scrolling email? Same with the address book. People are just reading the specs and are like... uh, my treo has that or blackberry, or whatever. From what I've seen and used, they aren't the same. This thing is a sort of paradigm shift. Kinda like how the macintosh changed our way of thinking of computer interfaces and purposes, this thing may very well reshape our idea of a mobile phone/communication device. There were mp3 players before the iPod, but do they matter anymore? Not really. Even if it just sparks competitive innovation an copies (which it already has) then it's an important part of history.

6. macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Nothing huge, but good work.

7. macrumors newbie

Some details that this guys get it wrong!

I can't even see how you guys analyzed so poorly the google maps image

It's clear that the icon on the right relates to a sort of "Get directions" and the icon on the left surely relates to "Find Restaurant". Both are international symbols!

Clicking the following link, you can find some pics that i created so you can all see what i am talking about.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0251962501/iphone/directions.jpg

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0251962501/iphone/restaurant.jpg

8. macrumors 68020

samh004

You raise a very good point, regardless, it's good to find out some new-ish stuff on the iPhone, things were getting a little stale.

9. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Yes! Keep em' coming! I love it when bits and pieces of info on the iPhone come rolling in! I CAN'T WAIT:apple:

10. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

The maps function is WAY cooler than Steve demo'd

It was strange that Steve showed the Washington Monument as a demo of what you can do with satellite maps... that's nothing compared to what you can do with just the featured he demonstrated:

Imagine you're in a downtown area of a city, but are disoriented as to where you need to walk to get to your destination.

All you have to do is look up the area you are in, zoom in on the satellite view, and look for the buildings around you.

Even if the phone doesn't have integrated GPS to the maps, you can still orient yourself very quickly. That is gonna be amazing.

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 6502a

You think that was Steve Jobs' actual phone number in the iTunes phone section? lol :p

12. macrumors 6502a

Xeem

An impressive little video of an impressive little device. Having the letters along the right side if the screen when scrolling is incredibly well thought-out.

13. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

I don't care about syncing rings with iTunes. I want to be able to create rings in Garageband.

14. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Given that you can create/import into iTunes, I'd think that this would be possible.

15. macrumors 6502a

I suppose the iPhone will require Leopard, makes you wonder what level of integration Apple has developed between the two.

iTunes/iPod was a good start... but this could be great. :eek:

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

I noticed the letters on the side at Apple.com, and could guess what they were for. This makes the iPhone MUCH easier to navigate through long lists than an iPod with wheel. Which is saying something. In fact, between letter-tapping and gesture-scrolling, getting through a list on an iPhone will be even fast and easier than with a mouse! (And emails etc. will all benefit, not just song listings.)

17. macrumors 68000

iEdd

Except that you probably won't be able to connect to some random WiFi network, so that can be ruled out. Is EDGE like broadband? Otherwise you could be there for quite awhile 'orientating' yourself. :(

18. macrumors 6502a

I'll I want to know is if the iPhone will be able to display PDF files. I need access to PDF documents on the go.

19. Toe
    macrumors 65816

Toe

Dunno... could someone with an EDGE phone go to http://www.google.com/gmm/ and tell us what it's like? :)

20. macrumors 68000

You've been able to do this in almost every relevant dialog window on the mac since I can remember. Finder, open, save, iTunes, etc.

Press a letter in cover flow... cool. drool.

21. macrumors 68020

samh004

Seeing as Preview works very well for that right now, I don't see why they couldn't make a mini-version of it for the iPhone, but I guess you'll still have to wait to find out :p

22. macrumors 6502a

Steve said in an interview that it will display PDF's. The question went something like this...

Interviewer - What about file formats? Can we open Word or Excel documents or anything?

Steve - Right now it is undecided, but it IS ABLE to display PDF documents

23. macrumors 68000

Well, since mail can display pdfs I think it would have to as well. But what people really want to know, and what I think Steve is "undecided" on, is just how much of a computer this thing is going to be at first. Will it have preview? iWork? You can bet it's planned, but whether they come free or not is possibly the undecided part. And perhaps they just waiting to see what's finished by release.

24. macrumors G5

nagromme

Yep--and that works in Cover Flow already too. But that needs a mouse AND keyboard :) iPhone will need only your finger, to do both quick-seek to a letter and then fine-scroll to the specific item.

The variable-speed thing is better with the iPhone too: you just move your finger as fast as you want, and--I assume--put your finger back down to stop the drift.

25. macrumors regular

iPoodOverZune

iApplaud (or iApple-aud)

Not that this is a very revealing stuff, but gosh, how are people so dedicated to discovering iPhone! They are looking at blurry pictures to find out a clue to its future features. Now who does that to Prada or samsung phone! and yet people say this feature is present in this phone or that phone. Still no body seems to pay attention to that. iPhone, on the other hand, seems like a never-ending talk of the electronics town. Having said that, the person who noticed that ringtone feature making up an exclusive menu item must be applauded! :)