Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Depends on time of day and circumstances. Sometimes the mind prefers a different lighting.

Maybe if you're "up with the sun". My hours are completely backwards and I live inside. 2am is like my noon, I want to see the real colors regardless of where the star is in the sky.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe if you're "up with the sun". My hours are completely backwards and I live inside. 2am is like my noon, I want to see the real colors regardless of where the star is in the sky.
For many different lightning is preferable at different times of day (not necessarily the literal time but time with respect to their sleep/wake cycle).

Mac'em X

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2003
Japan
Presumably, there's no Confederate flag emoji, because that would be offensive to Big Brother.

It's offensive to many real people (for good reason). Then again, lots of things are offensive to someone somewhere. U.S. flag? Israeli flag? Crosses and crescents? Pigs and dogs? Two male figures side by side? All offensive to someone... Can't please everyone, I say, so might as well leave them in...

But then you get to the truly tricky cases. Confederate flag? Uh... I'm tempted to say leave it in, and throw in a Communist hammer & sickle as well... but then what about a swastika? The Nazi party flag? Yikes.

I don't envy the job of those who have to make the decision on what to include and what to leave out of a set of pictographs!

The new OS X theme is great, for puking rainbows. Why did Apple turn OS X into the visual train wreck that was iOS 7 ?

I can't agree with shifting keyboard uppercase/lowercase characters, I'm supposed to be typing, not adjusting to a different interface at each keypress !! Bring back Scott Forstall fast, to keep the boat afloat.

iOS 7+ and OS X 10.10+ look great. A big step forward from the older appearances.

Highly subjective, of course. But I want Apple to know that plenty of users love the recent improvements. Keep shaking things up, Apple!

And the new iOS keyboard: Double thumbs-up. The current keyboard is just ridiculous. Apple creates a software-implemented keyboard to show the user exactly what each key will type... except for the alphabet keys, for which the keyboard instead spends most of its time showing us the letter case that WON'T be typed. It's nuts.

The new keyboard is a thing of sense and beauty. Kudos, Apple!

be really nice if folders switched from blue to grey when using the graphite appearance.

Never thought of that, but: Good idea.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
now icloud drive a separate app.... should please us all.. Caps and lowercase on keys are now less confusing to all of us. The video shows "low power mode up to an hour ? " That is off by what we heard of 3 hours.

Notification battery widgets all good... however why Apple can do this, but developers can't still amazes me. The colorful siri speech when u talk :) Awesome..... I dunno why i'm getting excited over this, must be the colors. Maybe more users will use Siri now ?? *just a wild guess* even though its probably not a huge deal. 6 digit codes are good too. (although now users will need a "better" memory)

(I still say "look at all those emojies" )....

Regarding the shaking of the mouse to "see the pointer" while this may be good, i can't help wondering this is yet another convenient feature Apple is doing as a tradeoff because "the pixels are soo small u may no longer be able to see the pointer."

Get a better eyesight ? *shrugs* or scale the resolution...

All the way through this video this guy keeps saying "Apple didn't talk about." Well... no they didn't, otherwise it wouldn't be a hidden feature would it

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its unnaceptable that I cant uninstall the default apps Im not interesting in, there's a few of them I would like to get rid of. That should be an option.
It hasn't been for 9 iOS versions, so it's something most have accepted by now (not that they don't hope that it will change at some point, but they don't really expect it or get really upset about it, if they chose to go with iOS).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its unnaceptable that I cant uninstall the default apps Im not interesting in, there's a few of them I would like to get rid of. That should be an option.

It should be, but if it was Apple would be the first.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
That is great news. My wife's work issued iPad requires a specific 4 digits. She is not allowed to change it.

I guess if Apple changed it your wife's work would have to update their policy. Strange policy though, firstly that they use a weak four digit code and secondly that it is not allowed to be changed.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced Helvetica New...
New is what "Neue" means, translated from German. But he still pronounced it incorrectly. But I don't care, at least he tried, not many Americans do that (they would just pronounce it incorrectly and claim it's the "American pronunciation", which is some sort of phonetic imperialism, I guess).

Someone in this thread already mentioned what the correct pronunciation is:
sniffies said:
And finally, Neue in Helvetica Neue is pronounced [noiə], not [noia].
Although that "ə" is kind of hard to isolate for Americans. I'd say you come pretty close when you pronounce it like "annoying" + "yeah" (just pronounce the bold characters).

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I have always hated the Beach Ball. I wish Apple would've just changed it by now. What is this fascination they have with the Beach Ball. I liked when we had the StopWatch. Something about it didn't give the impression that the system has given up or slow like the BeachBall does.
But then we would be getting the stopwatch all of the time.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Too true.

I don't want a lower-case keyboard. Bring back the iOS 6 shift key, please.
Why not?

Seriously it is one of the best improvements in iOS9, it makes usage dramatically easier.

Is it a bad omen that they made the beach ball prettier? "You're going to see it often, so we made it prettier"

Probably not
Beta is greatly improved! I hardly ever see e beach ball and when I do it is usually related to external disk access. In other words I see the beach ball when I would expect to see it, not in thE inexplicable ways we see it in Yosemite.

now icloud drive a separate app.... should please us all..
You would think that by now Apple would get it but from my experience with the iCloud Drive app is that it is basically useless.
Caps and lowercase on keys are now less confusing to all of us. The video shows "low power mode up to an hour ? " That is off by what we heard of 3 hours.

Notification battery widgets all good... however why Apple can do this, but developers can't still amazes me. The colorful siri speech when u talk :) Awesome..... I dunno why i'm getting excited over this, must be the colors. Maybe more users will use Siri now ?? *just a wild guess* even though its probably not a huge deal. 6 digit codes are good too. (although now users will need a "better" memory)
Poor memory collapses the best security measures. This is why I like biometric scans.
(I still say "look at all those emojies" )....

Regarding the shaking of the mouse to "see the pointer" while this may be good, i can't help wondering this is yet another convenient feature Apple is doing as a tradeoff because "the pixels are soo small u may no longer be able to see the pointer."

Get a better eyesight ? *shrugs* or scale the resolution...
This has nothing to do with resolution. I'm not even sure how you link the feature to screen resolution. Even on my old 2008 MBP this would have been a great feature to have.
All the way through this video this guy keeps saying "Apple didn't talk about." Well... no they didn't, otherwise it wouldn't be a hidden feature would it

The phrase hidden features is a joke, Apple doesn't talk about them because they don't have the time o do so. It just isn't possible to fit everything into a keynote or even a reasonably sized web page. Besides if these features where hidden you would need to uncover them, most of them are obviously there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Which apps are you concerned with? I think some of them stay around to support system features. Allowing them to be deleted might break parts of the system.

Obviously some apps are useless to more than a few users. The fact is though that this is the case with all operating systems! Mac OS for example has many apps and utilities installed that novice users never access. Having apps installed that many don't use doesn't make Apple wrong as they need to offer a complete system suitable to a wide array of users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.