Hidden Files showing up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roland.g, Nov 12, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When I open a Finder window and click on the hard drive icon (named mini), I see Applications, Library, System, User Guide Info. and Users in the window to the right. However, when I hold now a left-click (or right click) on my hard drive icon in the dock, I see three hidden files as well - automount (which is a folder with an arrow to the right), mach (which is an alias) and mach.sym.

Any reason why I am seeing these files in this view. I never did on my G4 in Panther.

BTW, this is on a brand new (2 week old) 1.66 Mac Mini running 10.4.8.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I called Applecare and the tech didn't even know you could drag a HDD into the dock and access it from there. When he did, he saw the same files I did and said it must be a Tiger default, it definitely isn't in Panther.

I tried doing what the kbase article said to do and it worked, but when I rebooted the Mac, it reverted! Does that make any sense? Was there something I needed to add to it to make it more permanent? Any other suggestions?

What is SetFile? Excuse me but I never use terminal. Don't really know any commands.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Panther handled the hidden files differently.

I can't think off hand why it wouldn't "stick". My first thought is to do a repair permissions (Disk Utility), then try the KB method again.

If that still doesn't do it, try the method outlined in the last "note" in the article: copy SetHidden and hidden_MacOS9 to your user directory.

Then open terminal (it will default to your home directory) and run SetHidden with the following command:

sudo ./SetHidden / hidden_MacOS9

SetFile is part of the OS-X Developer tools. But, you might have it contained within one of your software update receipt packages.

From Terminal, try: "locate SetFile" (case sensitive)

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Ok, thanks, are SetHidden and hidden_MacOS9 on my Install DVD?
    And when you say copy to my user directory, into where, the home folder?, the library folder?, do I delete them afterwords?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Home folder.

These are the files you used when you tried the first method, from the DVD.

Guess the KB didn't really tell you how to get to those, from the Finder.

You should find a System folder on the DVD. Open it, then open Installation, then Packages.

right (ctrl) click on the file "OSInstall.mpkg" and select "Show Package Contents"

Open Contents, then Resources. You should see "SetHidden" and "hidden_MacOS9", and should be able to copy them to your Home folder.

When you're through using SetHidden, you can delete it and the other file, if you like. It won't hurt to leave them, though. Or you can move them elsewhere. I just suggest Home, as it's the default path when you open Terminal.

7. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Thanks again, I repaired permissions first, did exactly what you said and it worked but as soon as I rebooted it reverted. Oh well. :confused:

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sorry to hear that.

SetFile might have same problem. I would guess SetHidden plays with the same file attributes.

You might try (as in couldn't hurt), running the 10.4.8 combo updater.

I'm trying to think of other "simple" solutions, but blank at the moment.

9. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Already running 10.4.8. Do you have the same thing on your PB, or are you running 10.3?

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sorry - meant re-install 10.4.8, using the combo updater.

I'm running 10.4.8.

The machine I fixed is also on Tiger. His files showed up after some trouble he was having doing image backup/restores.