Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
randomly all the hidden files are showing up on my desktop and in finder... how do I get rid of them and make them "hidden" again its kinda annoying

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
don't forget to repair permissions; it's the easiest thing to do and is almost as effective as restarting, lol. that reminds me, i should probably go do that.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
not using tinkertool.. no clue what it is anyway... but gonna try to repair permissions when I get home. Anyone have a clue how this could of happened?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by synthetickittie
not using tinkertool.. no clue what it is anyway... but gonna try to repair permissions when I get home. Anyone have a clue how this could of happened?
a random poorly placed line in a program, possibly even a quirky bug in OS X itself. luckily OS X has things in place to fix it, i hope. good luck!

by the way, tinkertool really is worth checking out. i use it myself, and it hould fix your problem if permissions repair doesn't--rower was probably right about that.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
repairing permissions didnt work but downloading tinkertool worked and I think its accually a worth wild thing to keep around for a few more options/preferances when ever I want or need to use them easly.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by synthetickittie
repairing permissions didnt work but downloading tinkertool worked and I think its accually a worth wild thing to keep around for a few more options/preferances when ever I want or need to use them easly.

indeed. i just remembered why i use it: to put the dock to the lower left instead of centered. lol, it's a nice program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.