"Hidden" or neat stuff in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BiikeMike, Sep 30, 2005.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

So, one of my friends showed me that if you hold down shift while minimizing a window, then it will morph in slow mo.

There is also the neat little F11 trick to make all your windows dissapear.

Any others people care to share?

(I'm new to OSX so while this stuff may be old news to you, its new to me :))

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

There was a post about this yesterday. And a million other times in the forums.

Yes, it's called exposè.

Yes, very old.

3. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

I posted this earlier today, but ctrl-option-apple-8 is cool. This is for Tiger, for anything older, add an FN to that mix as well.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

F10 - Show windows in current app.
    F9 - Show all windows.
    shift-apple-3 - takes screen shot.
    shift-apple-5 - select area of screen for screen shot.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

None of these thing are "Hidden". Go to System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard Shortcuts. Everything is right there. (Except for the Exposè stuff which is under the Expose System Preference.)

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Well excuse the hell outta me!

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Excuse him. He musta sucked on something sour.

We're not all like that.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm just telling it how it is. Nothing sour. Nothing mean. Just laying out the truth.
    (1) Someone did just start a very similar thread that talked about the same stuff.
    (2) Expose is not a hidden trick. It's a well know advertised feature.
    (3) Everything the OP said is extremely old news and has been beaten to death.
    What is is so "sour" about that? I thought I was reasonably nice about it. Maybe people are just too sensitive about things around here.

PS. Don't excuse me at all. I didn't do anything wrong or worth excusing.

9. auxplage macrumors 6502

It is really actually called exposé.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Point taken, but I don't feel like editing my posts. :eek:

11. auxplage macrumors 6502

I was not being bitter just for the record.

I just felt like adding more sarcasm to the fun.

:)

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I didn't take it as being bitter. Believe it or not, I was actually laughing.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Granted, but it could have been said in a gentler tone. Without the benefit of a smiley such as :rolleyes: it did come across to me as being harsh. Evidently the original poster saw it that way too, since he replied with "Well excuse the hell outta me!". He made it clear he was new to OS X, too. I just didn't think that a bunch of guys pouncing on him with this "DUH! We already knew all that!" attitude was going to help much in welcoming a new guy.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Why use smilies or rolleyes when I'm not being sarcastic or such? I didn't "pounce on anyone." I know the OP is new to OS X, I can read. The OP said it may be old news. I let the OP know that indeed it was old news. If no one told the OP that with was old news, then how would the OP know? I never said "DUH! We already knew all that!" This whole thing is just ridiculous.

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

IIRC, Steve has outlawed all Easter Eggs.
    :(

If he still allowed them, I could see it being SPECTACULARLY awesome. Apple creativity + apple skill at programming = HOURS, WEEKS, months! of fun, trying to find them all.

but noooo.. someone wanted to be a professional.. haha.

16. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

One of my fav OS X things thats not so easily found (and I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but...):

Command-J in a window in Finder, click Background: Color and then the 'color rectangle', and then the little magnifying glass icon in that window. You can now 'grab' any color from the screen. Great when you find a interesting color on a photo or web page.

Or is this too obvious?

17. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

wow, sorry to start all the controversy!

As the OP, I appreciate being told that there was another thread like this just started, I know no one likes repeat threads. The "excuse the hell outta me" was in jest. I may be new to this forum and OSX, but I am not new to forums, and actually, here is the nicest I was treated. on my home forum, Ridemonkey, instead of getting a "there was a post about this yesterday. And a million other times in the forums." and a "Yes, very old," I would have gotten "you frikkin n00b! use the search function!"

But since I didn't know what to search for, I started my own post

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Cool. Evidently I read more into posts than was intended. So BiikeMike is happy, I offer an apology to grapes911 for taking things too literally and being the one to pounce on him, and hopefully everyone's happy.

Sorry. :)

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well the point of a public forum is for people to ask questions and such, otherwise, i gurantee you, every subject has been beaten to death. If you join any other forum and your new, im sure they have covered all the topics your wondering about but their not gonna just put something snazy back, they will either read and shrug or post something helpful.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No kidding. "The point of a public forum is for people to ask questions and such"? Who'd of guessed it. What good is posting "questions and such" if people don't respond and give answers and such. My response was that it has been covered before. I think you are looking for meaning behind the posts in this thread that just aren't there.

Ok people, nothing to see here. Move along now.

[​IMG]