Hidden Tetris Game In Terminal!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArtMan617, May 29, 2002.

1. macrumors regular

I forget where I came across this (actually, it might have been here), but here is what to do to play an interesting version of Tetris in the terminal in OS X.

In a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys.

I just played it and while it's all text-based, it's relatively fun for those in need of a quick tetris fix. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

2. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

How do you acess OS X terminal?? This may sound dumb but I am fixing for some Tetris, gotta love mac programers for hiding little treasures.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Where the Terminal is located...

To get to the terminal, go into Applications then to Utilities and it should be loose in there (note: this is in OS X). Once you open the program, there should be a terminal window that pops up where you begin the procedure that I listed before. Enjoy!

-ArtMan617

4. macrumors 6502a

you guys chure this isnt a emacs e-egg?

5. macrumors newbie

works for me, although I can't seem to turn the blocks:(. Make sure not to hit enter after you press esc or x.

6. macrumors member

Rotating

To rotate, use the up arrow key (and possibly the down, I didn't check that).

-----
    Apple hardware still too expensive for you? How about a raffle ticket?

7. macrumors regular

I can't seem to get it to work. I type emacs, press Esc, then when I press x, I get a beep. Whether or not I type in another x, I type in tetris and get "unknown command". What's the beep for?:confused:

8. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Works for me perfectly, thanks for the tip ArtMan617 :D, I don't suppose you have anymore? ;)

9. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Re: Where the Terminal is located...

Thanks for the help, now to start playing Tetris..

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, I don't know of any more OS X easter eggs...also, for those of you that were having problems with it, the insructions I gave were correct and it should work...

-ArtMan617

11. macrumors 6502

This is really cool! Unix Tetris! :D

Here are some other eggs, I guess...
    •Hold down shift and click the minimize button on a window for slow motion mode
    •Hold down shift+ctrl and click the minimize button on a window for a VERY slow motion mode
    •Type Bill Gates in the terminal (OK, this really isn't an egg but its kinda cute):)

12. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Er... this is not technically an "easter egg," and nobody at Apple had any hand in creating it. It's not really even an emacs easter egg. More like a little application written for emacs (emacs is a ridiculously powerful UNIX text editor with its own scripted LISP-based programming language).

More stuff comes with emacs than any one person will ever use, and tetris just happens to be one bit of that stuff. You can get an idea what's there game-wise by looking in /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play.

13. macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Re: Hidden Tetris Game In Terminal!

Artman forgot to mention--hit the return key after typing emacs. That should get it to work for y'all.

Chris

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that...I must have hit enter involuntarily when I tried it....

-ArtMan617

15. macrumors 6502

Sweet. Thanks for the tip Artman. I know that I probably shouldn't complain, but it should display the level that you are currently on, or maybe something about the difficulty you are currently at. Other then that, it's the same as the original.

thanks,
    Draft

16. macrumors 68000

mc68k

As far as tertis games go, this one is pretty lame IMO. Controls suck and implementaion is rough…

17. macrumors regular

this is not a os x thing, nor a terminal thing, nor a unix thing. it's just something available in emacs. try this... Esc-x doctor.

18. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think there's a text based RPG called dunnet, or something like that that came with OS X.

19. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

any idea how to do this? i love the tetris.

20. macrumors 68020

G4scott

do the same thing for tetris, but instead of typing "tetris", type "dunnet" and it should work. I had found another way to do it without having all of the clutter of the emac program, but I forgot how to do it.

21. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

That was fun. Yeah, it is not the greatest version, but it is just cool to play it in the terminal

22. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

How do i get to /usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play? where do I enter that?

Thanks for the help

23. thread starter macrumors regular

I've been playing "dunnet" a bit and I'm currently at the "ferocious bear". Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? I have a CPU card also. I realize that asking for help for a text-based RPG is pretty pathetic but I've found the game to be pretty interesting.

-ArtMan617

24. macrumors 68020

G4scott

In the finder, press Apple + "~" (the key to the left of the #1 key.) Then type the directory, which in this case, would be "/usr/share/emacs/20.7/lisp/play".

Woah... there's solitaire too!

25. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Here's how you're supposed to run dunnet. Type this in at the terminal prompt:

emacs -batch -l dunnet

This opens it without the 'UI' of emacs. Enjoy.