Hidden Tiger Apps! (Real this time)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 36183, May 24, 2005.

1. 36183 Guest

yes i know last time i made a thread with this title it was just a plain lie. but recently a mate told me about some real hidden apps.

well there is a few of them. (before reading any further please install the developer kit, if you haven't already)

go to the folder "Developer/Examples/DiscRecording/ObjectiveC"

then go to any of the folders, open the ".xcode" file and compile it (aka "build")

by the way these APIs are opensoruce, i can seen them being implemented into some apps soon ;)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Those are neat! I wonder if Apple's going to incorporate any of this functionality into Mac OS X in the future.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you go to Developer->Examples->Dashboard->Sample Widgets there are a bunch of Dashboard widgets there. Some of them are pretty useless except as examples of what you can do and how to do it, but others are semi-useful. Framing Gallery is a good one, as is Voices. Which.wdgt might be useful to some people as well (although I couldn't really get it to work right).

Also if you go into Developer->Applications, there are some interesting programs. Core Image Fun House (in the Graphics Tools folder) is pretty cool, and potentially useful as well.

Another app that's pretty fun to play around with is the AU-Lab in the Audio folder. You can string effects together and listen to what they do in real time. Just use the built-in microphone (if you have a PowerBook or iBook) as the input source, and plug in headphones to listen to the output. You can do all kinds of stuff with the built in Audio Units.

Anybody found any other fun hidden things in Tiger?

4. 36183 thread starter Guest

doe those that will not bother checking here a pic of one of the apps

Attached Files:

5. 36183 thread starter Guest

the source codes are just sitting their waiting to be used. i think you can compile the apps have save them in your app folder and use them.

hopefully someone will put those sourcecodes together to make a free version of toast

6. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

sounds like someone just gave me my afternoon project :p

7. 36183 thread starter Guest

there is loads of stuff in the example folder, most of the example widgets are useless, but the codes are good for widget developers, i almost managed to make a widget by looking at those example codes, sadly i gave up, it wasent really my thing :rolleyes:

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd like to see the Framing Gallery extended so that it could pick up an image from an iPhoto album and display in randomly when you activated Dashboard.

9. 36183 thread starter Guest

if you are seriously about doing it, make sure it has a cool name.

anyone got a name suggestion?

10. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Keith......ooh no erm...Dave....Barry....no wait....Sebastian....definitely Sebastian.....or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I wouldn't call these apps "hidden", but they are a lot of fun to mess with if you have the dev tools installed. You can even build and use the old Mac classic SimpleText (in the Carbon folder). The OpenGL examples are also interesting; I like to change random numbers in the code, recompile, and see what happens. :D

12. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

lol oh I'll come up with a cool name, i'm sure one will come to me at random during a long night of coding when I've had too much coffee and not enough sleep ;)

13. 36183 thread starter Guest

someone of the is VERY interesting, by the way ".qtz" files can be opened in quicktime. it is slow but it works.

14. ifjake macrumors 6502a

this is for a free "toast," right? make it something like "lightly brown" or "singe."

15. 36183 thread starter Guest

kwajo.com please tell us if your serious about putting the app together.

16. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well I do plan on putting in an effort, no promises though, it's a busy time, I just started a new job.

but seeing as how I'm going to make a run at it (took a look through the code last night), and feature requests?

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I like the name "singe" quite a bit. If I didn't encounter any localization issues (if I make an application, I plan to provide it in additional languages besides English), that's what I'd name my CD burning app if it wasn't already taken.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

How about something that invokes simple home cookin' like "Barbeque", or Grill?
    :)

19. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'd love to see something like this. I'd even donate a little money if you're able to come up with something good. The one feature I'd most like to see is the ability to burn video DVDs from Video_TS folders (DVD-ROM UDF format I think it's called).

As for the name, I like the suggestion of Barbecue or Grill.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Words to do with "burning"...

Burn terms:

Pyrolysis (To be slowly chemically reduced -carmelized/cooked- by heat)

Partial/Full thickness (burns)

(Burn) Unit

Incinerate (to consume by fire)

Conflagration (a fire that defys all control)

Devices that burn:

Open Flame (Device)

Torch

Brazier

Molotov (cocktail)

Incindiary (device)

Burn Actions:

Arson ( Malicious burning)

Free Burning (See: Cigarette papers)

FreeBurn seems like the kind of name you're looking for. You could use a good image of either a torch style lighter or an (ahem) hand rolled cigarette for the icon.

21. 36183 thread starter Guest

maybe we need a name that doesnt cry "toast rip off" :p

22. russed macrumors 68000

russed

baked?
    microwaved?
    grilled?
    chargrilled?
    poached?
    fried?

23. 36183 thread starter Guest

should i add toasted to the list as well?

24. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

maybe we should go with something that indicates discs or circles, like 'Pi in the Sky' or 'Radially Charred' maybe? :p

25. TreeHugger macrumors 6502