Hide Admin in Login screen?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by stark4, Jun 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

How can i hide admin in login screen. I have 2 accounts ... 1 admin ( to maintain the mac) so i don't really use that account and 1 standard account that everybody use. How can i hide the admin account in the login screen?

thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options > Display Login Windows as > Select "Name and Password"

Better not forget the User Name and Password, though.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i know that but i just want to use the "List of users" but there must be a way to hide the Admin.

Anyone?

4. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Pray tell, how would you login as an Admin if the account is hidden and you're not using the User Name and Password login window? :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 6502a

com.apple.loginwindow.plist has a HiddenUserList set in it.

Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add user1shortname user2shortname
    Should do the trick. To remove the hidden ones and display them again do

Code:
    sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList
    It's possible to have a list and enable 'Other..' as a menu option that gives and User/pass input.

6. macrumors member

Mactasia

The above post is a very nice solution.

Alternatively, you could enable 'root' and use that as your admin account (it will show 'Other' at login window to login as 'root').

7. macrumors 68030

This is not a good idea, you don't want the user permanently logged in as root. Very, very bad idea. If you need root access, enable it for what you need and log back out!

8. macrumors P6

Intell

At the login window there is a special key combination to get the the Other login. I think its command and right arrow or option-enter.

9. macrumors member

Mactasia

Well the OP said that he "didn't really use the admin account" - so imho, there would be no harm done and he wouldn't have to phaff around with plist files if he's not to sure about what he is doing.

10. macrumors 68030

But the OP does use the admin account, he/she just doesn't log into it. You need admin privileges to install applications, make changes to some pref panes, etc. So the OP must use it for some things. Switching admin for root is always always always a bad idea.