Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I was browsing through the Community forum, and I noticed that there were 5 sticky topics. The computer I am using now has a very small XGA 12" screen, so I had to scroll down quite a bit before I got to see the regular topics. Then I came up with an idea. Do you know that little oval looking thing on the extreme right side of the screen that is used to hide/show sections in the forum? (Apple Hardware, News Discussion, etc) I think it would be a good idea if we had the option to hide and show the sticky topics for any forum.

For example, I know about the weight loss challenge and the "welcome n00bs" sticky thread. If I want to post in them, I can, but when I don't want to, I can hide them so all I see are the regular threads in the forum. Thoughts?

Edit: Perhaps you could make this option available only to people with 500+ posts, because the most of those stickys are made to inform newbs on how to behave :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Some stickys we want to be seen but I don't see a problem with hiding some of the less urgent ones.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Our forum software doesn't have a builtin feature to let users show/hide sticky threads that easily, so we try to limit the number of stickies in any one forum. We've turned down a number of requests for them, when somebody thought their favorite thread (ususually one they started) deserved to be sticky but we thought it wouldn't be of enough overall interest to the majority.

I agree that we have more than sticky threads than is ideal in the Community Discussion forum at the moment, partly because of two active "Challenge" threads.

We could unsticky the Official Mac Rumors "What's Your Job" Thread thread and put a link to it in the Welcome thread, suggesting that people post there. Then it wouldn't have to be sticky for people (at least new members) to find it. That would save one sticky thread.

Since I don't expect the "Challenge" threads to be permanent, we should eventually be reducing the count by 2 anyway. So perhaps we are just at a temporary high point.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Q, an idea: What would you think of the fitness challenges (Nike + iPod and the Weight Loss Challenge) if they were made into a temporary sub-category of the community forum (with or without the ability to start new threads in there) ?

Just a passing thought. :eek:

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Why not have a "Community Forum Sticky List", where only one sticky thread handles the links to all of the previously-stickied-and-now-unstickied threads?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Why not have a "Community Forum Sticky List", where only one sticky thread handles the links to all of the previously-stickied-and-now-unstickied threads?

I like that idea. I also like Doctor Q's idea with the 'whats your job' thread.

Or how about unsticky-ing the monthly Challenge threads — only a handful of people participate in those threads and, in general, are of little interest to other readers. I'm part of the Nike+ challenges so I'm better served with just subscribing to that thread instead. I'd prefer if all the Challenge threads were unstickied. :)

2 down.

We could get rid of the '20 things you didn't know about me', and put that list in a wiki guide or something... a bit stalkerish if you ask me. :confused:

3 down so far.

That's about it.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I noticed it the second I opened up that forum, it looks much nicer and cleaner. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.