Hide the menu bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trainguy77, Jul 14, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am looking for a way to hide the menu bar like the way the Dock hides. So when I put my mouse to the top it comes back. Any ideas?

2. adriantoll macrumors member

the closest i've found is "menushade" - try googling it. it doesn't hide like the dock, but dims the bar from fully on to black - i use my laptop for showing dvds on a projection screen through a data projector, so i set the bar to go black when the cursor isn't on it and set the desktop to be black, so that there's not too much extraneous detail projected.

most of the other posts on these forums about this talk about the importance of keeping the menu bar at the top for usability reasons, but to me that doen't hold water if you can call it instantly back and also turn off that behaviour easily...

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I have seen that program as I was goggling. The reason I want this is the computer it will be on will be sort of like a kiosk. Except at home just for music. I guess I can live with the menu bar but it would be nice not to have it there.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The menu bar is pretty deep in the system...making it appear and disappear via a 3rd party app makes it seem just a bit haxie for my tastes...

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There are ways to do it...here's a discussion of some of it. There's a demo application you can download to try out that will allow you to auto-hide the menu bar, but it only works for that demo app, not systemwide. Not sure how you could implement that...

6. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

hmmm Since itunes will always be running maybe the way to do it would be to some how add that to itunes then quit finder.

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I REALLY wish this feature was enabled for the pro Apps. I want them to take up every pixel of my screen, except if I mouse way up high.

That's about the only thing I miss about Windows. Though I'd prefer it if it was only in use when the pro App was being used; theyre the only apps I full screen really.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, I did a little more digging and found a post in this thread.

Again, note that it's on an application-by-application basis, and you have to modify the package contents for each one. I duplicated Safari and gave it a shot, and it seemed to work just fine. So, if you're really desperate, you could try something like this for your favorite apps, but it's generally not a good idea to go digging around inside the packages of apps.

9. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

That perfect. Just what I wanted! As I will only need to do it to itunes, and maybe finder! Thanks! Now how would I make the dock not show(even with the mouse over it). Would I change that number to a different number?

EDIT:When you enter 3 it makes it so the menu does not show at all, neither does the dock. Other numbers of I have tried do nothing.

10. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hmm.. applications like the DVD player or VLC can make it dissappear in Fullscreen mode, so it can't be buried that deep in the Systems code..

11. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Its quite easy to remove when writing a application but i dont think it has any effect if you switch applications

here's how to (AppleScript Studio only of course ...)

hide:

call method "setMenuBarVisible:" of class "NSMenu" with parameter 0
    show:

call method "setMenuBarVisible:" of class "NSMenu" with parameter 1