Hide Windows Server Shared Folders

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hoth, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Hoth macrumors newbie

hey...i am the design director in an agency where creatives use macs...and account people use WIN BOXES....and our server runs MS SERVER 2003...

we have set up two shared folders on our server....SERVER1 and SERVER2

unfortunately for the macs....we see the "Network Trash Folder" and an "ICON?" file in the root directory of these folders...

HOW CAN I HIDE THESE FILES...they drive me nuts...

thanks y'all...

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Please be more specific, do you want the shares to not show up, or do you just want those icons to not show up.

To have the Macs not even see the shares, set them up on a different network. Can be done by adding a router that connects into the router that is already in place. If you have a small group of Macs, use a simple Linksys $50 4 port router and it should keep your macs from seeing the Shares on the file server. Otherwise, macs are told to sniff out any shared folders that are out there that are possible to connect too, and will continue to find these shares.

3. Hoth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your inquiry...

actually i just want to hide those icons....

need to connect to those severs...but don't want to see those icons...

i think they are "hidden" on the PC side...but the macs see them...and i want them hidden....

TED.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

5. encro macrumors 6502

encro

If you have the Apple Developer Tools:

Code:
    /Developer/Tools/SetFile -aV "Network Trash Folder"
    Code:
    /Developer/Tools/SetFile -aV "ICON?"

6. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Actually, you can hide shares by putting a $ (dollar sign) after them. There's no need to make a network overly complex if there's already a way on the server to do this.

Even a Mac won't pick up on these hidden shares, because the server won't broadcast them as shares. On any Windows 2000/2003 NTFS partition, you'll find that there is a share (C$, D$, etc) and you can connect to those if you have Administrator privileges. However, if you just browsed the server, those won't appear, no matter what privileges you have.

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Thats good to know, thanks