Hiding Finder, what is the deal?!?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The Stig, Mar 19, 2007.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I :mad:HATE:mad: when I hide finder by mistake. Really what is the point of hiding finder and then it disables you from hiding all other programs and you have to "show all" which brings up all your apps (even the ones already hidden) and then you have to hide them again...

Really, what is the point of does this? I know, I know, it is my fault because I'm not paying attention but you have all done it by mistake like me, don't lie.

Is there some way to disable hiding finder by mistake or something? Is there anything I could be doing that is easier?

Thanks,

The Stig

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude just click the Finder icon on the Dock. Boom , Finder comes back. What's this "show all" nonsense (as the only way to show the Finder).

It's annoying to you and that sucks to hear, but there's no preference to not hide the Finder (maybe setup a keystroke to Show Finder).

3. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

ah, good idea. I never tried clicking on the finder icon.. But I hate that icon too. I don't see why I need it on my dock. I have a MB so I need my dock space. I removed the dashboard icon because it stupid to have there too. I know it is running. I'll click F12 if I need it. Same with finder. I know it is there. I never use the icon, I always goto the HD to open finder or open it from spotlight when searching for things.

Clicking on the finder icon does help a bit, but it won't stop it from happening. Anybody else have any good idea? Or have looked a lot into this problem?

AA

4. MrMacbookMan macrumors newbie

Yea, I'm not quite sure what your talking about. If you want finder back, you just click on the icon. And if you want to hide or open any other applications, you can, finder being visible or hidden shouldn't effect anything else. Maybe you have some kind of problem. Maybe you should double check to make sure that really is the case. Good luck.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can also use your keyboard and cmd-tab your way back to revealing the finder.

6. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

What I mean is when I hide apps I use contol-H to hide a app. But when you hide finder you can't hide another app, the option is grayed out. So you have to show finder again before you can hide other apps. It bugs me because sometimes I do it by mistake and then when I try to hide another app it doesn't work and then I realize I held finder and I have to go unhide it.

The Stig

7. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Try holding down command and option while clicking on a dock item. This activates the Application that you want and it hides everything else.

(I think you meant command+tab in your post (i.e. cmd+tab which is the inverted apple logo button that also has a neat curvy logo on the right side of it).)

8. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

This is not what I mean. You missed it :) I want to HIDE a app, not activate it and hide others. Just when I stop using an app I hide it.

No I didn't mean command+tab. I might command+H to hide a app so it hides in the dock.

The Stig

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

hiding the finder only prevents you from hiding another application if it's the only remaining shown application. if, say, you had 5 open (and showing) apps, you'll still be able to hide apps after hiding the finder. you just can't hide the last showing app, finder or otherwise.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sounds like somebody needs to increase their efficiency. Allow me to suggest Quicksilver. It pretty much is the most awesome thing ever created (allow its very difficult to describe).

Otherwise the use of Expose and command-Tab should be a good combination of efficienies, as for not being able to hide a program is just how it is.

Now.... let's hear something positive from you Stig, you are in quite the ranting mood and its a bit annoying.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Why not just hide the dock ?

You can set Expose' to show a translucent menu when you click the middle mouse button/ball/scroll-wheel

12. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I do hide the dock, but hiding finder is the problem.

13. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Maybe this will help--You can try to use TinkerTool.app to see in your dock if Finder is hidden with a semi-transparent icon (it's very useful). :)

14. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I don't think this is clear...

ie: Firefox is open and by mistake without knowing it I click off of it on the desktop and then finder is listed up at the top, but since I have no finder windows open I don't notice and I don't notice that it says Finder on the menu bar. So thinking I'm still on firefox I want to hide it to the dock so I press cmd+h to hide it but it doesn't hide, finder does because I'm on that. Now, I can't hide firefox because the option is grayed out under File>hide firefox and cmd+h doesn't work because of it. And I can't find any other app to the dock either until I show (unhide) finder. Then it works again.

Get it?

The Stig

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah you can't hide a program if everything else is hidden too. So what's the problem?

Don't hide the Finder at all then. Problem Solved.

16. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

OK that's much clearer. I guess the only recommendation that I can think of at this time is to look at the menubar to see what Application you are in before you hide an Application.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i got it when i posted my last entry. and as i stated earlier, you can continue to hide apps even after hiding the finder if there are at least two open and shown apps. take your example of firefox and the finder. if you accidentally hide the finder, you can still use cmd-h to hide firefox if there's another app (like itunes) that isn't already hidden. you just can't hide your last open app, whether it's the finder, firefox or other application.

18. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Didn't there used to be an app that showed you on the dock icon when an app was hidden? that would be useful to you.

Just had a quick look on VersionTracker and didn't find it, but I know it exists.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

20. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Yes I already linked him (or her) to TinkerTool in post #13 in this thread.