Hiding Folders Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I know in the past a few people have asked how to make hidden folders easily on their Mac, I found a great application today via http://www.maczot.com that allows you to do this.

Even better its MacZOT's ZOT of the day so you can buy it with huge savings.

The application is called Apimac Secret Folder and can be found at http://www.maczot.com

2. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Glenn! What are you hiding from your poor mother?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uhhhh... this 'magical' application "hides" a folder by putting a . in front of the name. Something you can accomplish for free with Terminal.app and a keyboard.

I was not willing to pay money to see what their "require a password" feature was all about. My guess is that it will require a password to open SecretFolder, which offers no protection at all, since to unhide a hidden folder, all one has to do is remove the . from in front of the file/folder name.

4. Togglehead macrumors 6502

...explain that a little more please?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which "that" are you referring to?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

In the Finder, and files/folders that have a . preceding their name are hidden from view in the Finder. Just open Terminal.app and type:

ls -laF ~

You should see a buncha files with ".name", and yet, you cannot see any of those from the Finder in your home directory (which is what ~ refers to), right?

This software is just a GUIfied script that does simply that. Adds or removes a . before the name of a file or folder to "hide" it. There's no actual protection, it's just hidden from the Finder. And you can do it yourself for free, so no need to pay for this software.

Is that what you were referring to for a greater explaination?

7. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Or you can hide folders without renaming them in terminal, with SetFile that's included with the Developer Tools on your Mac OS X disc.

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /Users/Glenn/Pictures/MySexyPhotos