Hiding var, tmp and etc Alias Folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Jan 5, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a weird problem. I restored one disk onto another disk using Disk Utility and now I have three aliases on my hard drive called "var", "tmp" and "etc". I know what you're thinking... those are part of the Unix background in Mac OS X and I am smart enough to know that I CANNOT delete them, so my question is. How the heck can I hide them. I really don't like seeing them there.

Other than that, my new drive is running fine.

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I don't really understand where you see these particular directories. Looking at my OSX install these directories are symbolic links in my root dir. More specifically:

Code:
    4np:/ duh$ ls -la /
    x     1 root  admin       11 Jun  1  2005 etc -> private/etc
    xr-x     1 root  admin       11 Jun  1  2005 tmp -> private/tmp
    lrwxr-xr-x     1 root  admin       11 Jun  1  2005 var -> private/var
    4np:/ duh$ 

It sound like you are looking in your homedir (hence: /Users/your_user_name) and not in your root dir?

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This is my root directory. I know they're important for Mac OS X to operate but, I just want to re-hide them because they're not supposed to be visible. It must be the nature of Disk Utility to do this.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have the exact same issue, bought about by cloning a backup onto my internal

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This sucks. I thought I remember cloning my drive before and I didn't have this problem... what the heck?

I decided to start over and Install OS X on it and then use Migrate Assistant. This seems like the safest way anyway.

Also, WOOHOO! NEW SIGNATURE!

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

Didn't know if anyone had anymore insight into this matter- I have the same problem. I backed my whole HDD up to my Lacie External via SuperDuper!, which, by the way, worked quite well. The only problem is that when I loaded this backup to my new HDD in my PB, in the Macintosh HD folder there are the three aforementioned aliases. Again, I know enough not to delete them; however, I am wondering if there is a way to re-hide them? I know it seems like a trite issue, but it primarily bothers me to no end (somewhat OCD maybe), but also, I feel the smart people at OS X HQ hid them for a reason...any thoughts?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

8. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

That software seems like it would work. Just curious thought, as it seems to have a myriad of features, what else do you use it for.

9. guru_ck macrumors 6502

10. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

11. mic.mac.hack macrumors newbie

Thankyou!

guru thanks SO MUCH! finally got around to removing all the pesky folders left behind by an OSx86 snow leopard install! THANK YOU