HiFi and AirPort Express w/ AirTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DrStrangelove, Oct 15, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2006
    Bought the HiFi. I just love the sound (for what it is) and it really looks like a clean and classy addition to our formal living room. Not to mention that this handsome little "box" plays loudly and clearly enough to serve more than just the living room. The kitchen/dining room and most of the first floor are served well by this new addition.

The first couple of days my wife and I competed for "docking rights" for our respective iPods. It was a fun little competition but needless to say she won out most of the time. :)

Part of the reason that we chose the HiFi over the Bose was because of the input jack. And it wasn't so that I could add a CD player, a TV output... it was for one reason and one reason only-- AirTunes.

Well, I'm happy to say that I got the AirPort Express yesterday and was completely BAFFLED by the ease of the setup. I've only been working with Macs for a little less than a year and while my experience has mostly been positive, certainly when I started to fiddle around with wireless devices not to mention streaming audio there were going to be some problems.

Lets see. Plug in AirPort Express, turn on AirPort on my iMac. Find device. Device found. Ummm... okay, lemme just open iTunes and see what happens-- I was SURE that it wouldn't work. Withing seconds there was music playing from my iMac (downstairs) to the HiFi in the upstairs living room. No delay from buffering, very little (if any noticeable at all by these not-too-critical ears) degradation or "loss" of sound. I believe the correct phrase is "pleased as punch." My neighbor stopped by, saw (and heard) the setup and not only thought it was cool, but gave me that look-- you know the one-- like I must be some sort of technological wizard. I just smiled.

Now, back to the competition-- the iMac is in MY OFFICE. I think I just one-upped her. :)
  2. iJaz macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2004
    Nice, I got the AirPort Express myself, so easy to set up that I thought it was a joke!
    Especially since I have been dealing with wireless PCs before...