Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Cassini, on it's way to saturn took this gorgeous snapshot of Jupiter.

It is simply breathtaking.

you can find the pic in full definition here:

Pics of Jupiter

Here is a little teaser:

20031113-pr-a-1.jpg

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
very cool stuff - saw this this morning.....it would be great if they could manage to get one like this of Saturn as well....

D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
very cool stuff - saw this this morning.....it would be great if they could manage to get one like this of Saturn as well....

D

I'm pretty sure they will

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by srobert
I'm pretty sure they will

considering that the Cassini probe is nearing Saturn as we speak, yeah, they probably will. But anything could happen before the pics are taken.....

This image of Jupiter is actually a mosaic of 27 images taken at Cassini's close approach to Jupiter back in December of 2000. Guess it just took them a while to get the images stitched together....:D

D

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I swear the swirls of gas on the surface look like repeating fractal designs in some places. I cant believe how small we are in the scope of things....and how little we actually know about the universe...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by agreenster
I cant believe how small we are in the scope of things....and how little we actually know about the universe...

considering that the Earth could be lost in the Red Eye storm of Jupiter that's an understatement....I can only imagine what it would be like to be that close in person.....;)

D

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
considering that the Earth could be lost in the Red Eye storm of Jupiter that's an understatement....I can only imagine what it would be like to be that close in person.....;)

D

Like the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey likely, beautiful but so terribly odd and confusing. However, it would be better if you were so stoned that you were about to pass out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Mudbug
very nice - I'd have to agree with the other guys - it'd be cool if they got Saturn too, and anything else that happens to pass by...

actually this Jupiter pic is from the Cassini probe on its way to Saturn. The pic was made a couple years ago - don't really know why there was such a delay. So we'll more than likely be getting even more spectacular pics of Saturn eventually.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.