High Definition - Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rasjunk, Jun 25, 2005.

1. rasjunk macrumors member

Does HD just mean it has above a certain resolution? I'm just trying to justify the price difference from the Apple 20" and 23". Thanks..

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

There both HD capable monitors. HD 720P runs at 1280x720.

3. anubis macrumors 6502a

There are different "flavors" of HD (i.e. 720p, 1080p, etc.). The 23-inch cinema display is capable of displaying all flavors of HD. The 20-inch can display all but the highest resolutions.

If you're in the market for a large widescreen display, might I recommend the Dell 2405fp. It's a 24-inch widescreen flat panel with 5 inputs (DVI, VGA, S-video, composite, component) compared to the Cinema display's 1, supports split screen, multi input, picture in picture, has 9-in-1 media reader and 4 port USB hub, and only costs $899 after coupon code. Apple and Dell get their LCD components from the same company so the quality difference is negligible. Of course, if you want to spend twice as much on a prettier bezel, go for it....

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Dell's is 24inch
    Apple's is 23inch

This means Apple's display has smaller pixels, which generally means crisper displays correct?

I have a 23inch Apple Cinema Display, had it for a little over a week now, and it's amazing, I don't need 5 inputs, my PM has DVI, and thats it. A 9-in-1 card reader is useless to me, I use firewire more then USB so having 2 USB and 2 FW is nice on the Apple Display. The Dell monitor is fugly to boot.

5. rasjunk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses so far.

Anyone have any comments on this?

6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Having bigger pixels can be good also. You have the same amount of room to work, but it's not as hard to see. (e.g. if you have eyesight problems)

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually the Apple 23" ACD uses a S-IPS LG-Philips panel whereas the Dell 2405FPW uses a PVA Samsung panel.

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Don't get the Dell. I'm not going to elaborate.

9. RooX macrumors newbie

then dont bother wasting people time.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good. I'd hate to have any reasoning presented. :rolleyes:

Numerous threads in these forums have all indicated that the Dells are, as a whole, good monitors for the price - and the 20" Dell, in particular, is essentially identical in all respects to the 20" ACD.

Edit: identical except for having more input options.

11. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

I'm in the same position, but with the Apple and Dell 20" displays. I thought I'd want the dell because of the inputs. I have a Mac mini and will have a PowerBook. Then I got to thinking about it... I really won't want to run one of them on VGA (supposedly it's terrible), so what's the real gain? If only Apple's display had two DVI ports... that'd be great. Sigh.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have an older Apple ACD, but my next monitor will be from Dell. Why? Essentially the same specs, vastly lower cost (if you wait for the periodic deals). Not as attractive... but I don't care as much about the casing as I do about the cost, as long as quality is equivalent - and the extra inputs make the monitors more flexible.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

get glasses...

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Heh, trying to be hip in the forum by blindly bashing Dell, eh? News flash: it's hip to root for the Dell displays. That means you're not hip. Go back to the front row in the classroom, nerd.

;)

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well i am *cough cough*

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000020041567/

Gee, they use the same LG LCD in their displays. Care to elaborate on that, regarding their displays using the same LG LCD? I am guessing not.

16. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Superbovine,

I got the idea we were debating the Dell 2405FPW and the Apple 23", not their 20" offerings. Maybe I'm lost...

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I happen to love the ACD's.

AND the 20" is not Apple "HD" display, its just an ACD.

The 23" and 30" are ACD HD Displays.

The 20" used to be called HD, I believe, so there is basically no difference.

Get the 20" ACD if you want, its a great monitor. Want bigger, get the Dell - a 23" display is NOWHERE WORTH the price of Apple, unless you want to, erm, "Match"

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

• 20-inch Apple Cinema Display
    • 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
    • 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display

Although the 20-inch cannot display a 1920x1080 HD (aka 1080p) image natively, it can display a 1280x720 HD (aka 720p) image.

19. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I recently purchased the dell 24 incher, and it if fantastic. It was a much better deal so I didnt worry about the supposed better quality of the apple 23.

Then last week I started a new job at my local fox affiliate and I work on a brand new, (2-3 months) ACD 23, the overall quality difference is huge...my dell at home looks much better! The ACD has a better look to its design, but the picture quality pales in comparison. The ACD blacks are weak, and it has brightness fading issues around the edges. Ive heard that some ACDs had this problem, I dont know the percentage but mine at work does.

On another note, my work and home computer are both duel 2.5 G5s. The only difference is that my home comp has 1.5 gigs of ram, while my work comp has an incredible 8 gigs! The weird thing is that my work computer feels no faster than my comp at home. Off topic there, but strange nontheless.

20. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Then you just keep rooting there bud. Go team.

21. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

i was debunking his biased view on dell.

22. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Didn't work.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Because you obviously didn't read. He pointed out that both the Apple and the Dell LCD use the exact same screen and same components and are essentially the same monitor.

Claiming the Apple one is better is complete bias since they are the same thing.

Dell computers suck. Their LCD's aren't so bad.

24. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

please explain?

25. mackaveli macrumors regular

i got the dell 2405FPW monitor and im glad i purchased it instead of the 23" ACD. i had the 23" ACD but returned it the day it arrived because i'm afraid of the colour issue and also no other inputs.

It might not be a big deal to some but for me, watching tv in PIP while surfing or chatting is a plus. Also i can play my console games which is another plus.

I don't care about Dell, i never had any hate for them to begin with and dont care if people think its ugly to me its just fine.

Save yourself some money and purchase ram or something.