High demand for iMac G4's - similar $ to G5's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jessearl, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

I have a PB G4 1.5Ghz 15" and it's a great machine whose portability is perfect for my needs. But, to be honest, needs aside, it's an iMac G4 that has the design that I love.

Because of this, I've been checking the prices lately for an iMac G4 with 20". It seems like the prices for a used G4 are higher than those for iMac G5's with higher processor speeds?

What gives? And why is it so hard to find G4 20" for sale? I can't find one to buy at a good price even if I wanted to it seems.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Macs hold their retail value far better than you might think. If there are not that many iMac G4s to be sold (Low Supply) and there is a demand for them (Not a high Demand but a moderate one-- especially for the last gen. models, over the eMacs and Minis) then prices go up. Athletics come into play, too.

3. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

The 20" imac G4 was not a very popular machine when it was introduced. I remember reading that Apple sold only about 30,000 of them and they only shipped for 8 months. Most people thought that that spending $2200 for a non upgradeble machine that was based on yesterday's technology was too much to spend. Most of the people who bought the 20" imac G4 are probably still using them and are not willing to give them up. Etiher way imac G4 all models hold value really well as do all macs. A 20" imac G4 can easily command $1200-$1500. An imac G4 17" can easily be worth $750-$1100 depending on model and configuration. Even the imac G4 15" can still sell at about $500-$800.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

Athletics. You meant aesthetics, right? :D

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Interesting, I just sold my 15" 1ghz iMac G4 for $875 on ebay. I now have a 20" iMac G5. Big improvement, and I'm happy even though I sorta prefered the look of the G4. The G5 is growing on me though.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I still have my G4 iMac and I love it - the new G5 iMac is great, but I like the design of mine far more and have no regrets about not getting a G5 instead. This iMac is going to do me just fine for the next few years, and then maybe I'll think about getting a G6 iMac, we'll see... :cool:

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Macs weigh less than PeeCees, so when you try to run with them, athletics DO come into play.

:p