high-end buying advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hyroboarder, Dec 1, 2006.

1. hyroboarder macrumors member

I'm looking for a camcorder to replace my panasonic $300. I'm looking to spend around $1000. It doesn't matter what size it is, but it should have a big lens and a handle and hopefully manual focus rings. Something along the lines of a canon xl2, but in the $1000 price range.

what do you guys use, and what are some good review sites?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

there really isn't anything new that fits your requests and is about $1000...the closest would be a Canon GL-2 (~$1900) or the recently discontinued Panasonic DVC30 (~$1800).

I am a film student and have a Panasonic DVX100B. It's a great camera and can't say enough about it. The DVC is basically the little brother version of the DVX (no 24p, smaller chip, etc). I've heard some good things about it.

If you're really strict on your budget, then I'd maybe look into getting something used so that you'll end up with a better camera.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yer not going to find anything like the XL2 in the $1000 range. Yer gonna hafta raise your budget or lower you expectations.

Lethal

4. hyroboarder thread starter macrumors member

yeah for the xl2, i meant that "type" of camera not the kind grandma brings to your soccer games... I just want the handle and some weight to it so when Im snowboarding behind someone on ramps and stuff I can film them while holding onto the camera, try holding a little panasonic palmcorder with huge gloves on lol. All I want is something that looks between a $300-500 camera and tv in terms of picture quality... Would shooting something like action sports be terrible in 24p? Because I don't neccessarily need 24p if that's what makes some cameras expensive.

Oh and another thing, is the xl2 really a great camera? I've heard it kicks ass but the features can be found on cameras that are a lot cheaper.

5. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Yes, the XL2 is one of, if not the best miniDV SD camera to grace this planet. A huge part of what makes the XL2 such a wonderful camera is the Canon L lens. It alone goes for about $1500. It's also incredibly configurable on an image acquisition level. Both are feature you can't find on a cheaper camera.

I'm guessing it's the big handle, focus ring and zoom toggle you like about the XL2, but I don't think you'll find that body style at that price. It is also the size it is to balance that lens, house it's big CCDs and support XLR inputs.

My suggestion would be to add about $200 more to your price, pick up the Canon HV10, some good convertible ski mittens so you can use your actual fingers to maneuver the camera if need be and build a stedicam to add some weight for following people, assuming they let you on the lift with it, but hey, you could always dismantle it an put it in a backpack.