High end headphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trainguy77, Apr 19, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am looking for some noise canceling headphones. I want a good set, as it will be used for live sound. 1/4 inch plug would be good. Price is not a problem, I got a good sized budget. What would you guys recommend?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Do you want noise cancelling or noise isolation?
    Active noise cancelling I thing would be a bad idea for doing professional sound - live or studio.
    Usually you want a circumaural phone with a good sealed back, it physically blocks outside noise.

What kinda equipment you got that uses a 3/4 inch jack!?! That's be the KingKong brand mixer, then? :eek: Good thing you have a "good sized" budget The rest of us have to be content with 1/4" jacks....

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

My bad I ment 1/4 inch.....:eek: It will be for live sound. So I am not sure what is best for that. I am no Pro at sound. I can do a nice mix though.:rolleyes:

4. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

why not go for the shure e5s? i mean, U2 is popularly known for using it.. no budget= fun fun fun

5. supergod macrumors 6502

Please explain what you want and what it is for. Are you looking for DJ headphones? I'm going to assume you meant isolation instead of cancellation (which would be useless in a live venue) so do you want a headphone that covers the ear or an in ear headphone. You say price is not a problem, but in all honesty, is there a reason you need high quality or are you just out to waste some dough?

Either way, the best thing to do would actually be to find someone near you who makes custom in ear headphones. The price is higher, but it is the best possible solution for live venues and will give you total sound isolation. Custom is definitely the way to go.

6. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I want something that covers the ear. I guess in your guys opinion I do have a budget.:rolleyes: Under $500 cdn would be good. However if you guys think its worth getting higher end then I could get more money. A good set of head phones can only get us so far in our system...its in a gym(AGGG) Maybe a little less so we can buy more stuff with the extra $. They are replacing a set of junk wireless head phones (who thought of that?:confused: ) It is used for a live band. We have two 700-watt speaker columns, and we may upgrade soon. It’s for the sound operator.

7. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

You're looking for the Sony Dynamic Stereo Headphones, MDR-7506 Profesional.

They're around $130 US I think. I use them all the time. We got 3 pairs of them. They're great!

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I think that is just what i want. If there is no other suggestions I will go for those.

9. starnox macrumors 6502

I got those Bose headphones, they are good for music. I tried using them on my mixing desk and you can tell they weren't made for that. I prefer using some cheap £30 sony headphones.

10. supergod macrumors 6502

I know you say you're not concerned with budget, but if you have any kind of latent desire to save a bit of money, I recommend checking out some of the grados. I've used some of the pricer ones in a studio and they were pretty great and I've got the cheapest pair they make and they're still better than pretty much anything I've heard available in a store.

11. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

I still say go with the MDR-7506 Sony's. When I recently recorded in this rich guy's studio, we were being recorded by a computer in another building, and he was in the other building communicating with us on headphones, and those are the headphones he used. He had like 10 pairs of them. They're really professional.

12. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i recommend shures, they're high quality sounding isolating headphones but a bit pricey..... unless price is REALLY not a factor

they're $500 :D :p ;) :eek: :) :eek:

13. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I think i will go with those. They look great.

14. Togglehead macrumors 6502

I'll second the Grado plug...i LOVE those cans.

Im an AKG and Sennheiser fan as well.

15. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I have had the same pair of these for 11 years and they sound really, really good. Strong bass, especially when hooked to a good stereo (versus an iPod or other portable). The recording studios at the college I went to used these cans exclusively. They are very accurate. What you hear is generally what is there.

I also highly recommend the Sony MDR-7506. You can get them for about $99 US from several places: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=598705/search=sony+mdr-7506

16. GanChan macrumors 6502

The MDR-V6 is the same headphone, only branded for consumer instead of professional use. You can get them for about $80 at Fry's I think, and probably even less online. I use them at work. They are very durable and should last about a zillion years, give or take a millenium. Do NOT confuse them with the more widely available MDR-V600, which are craptastic.

17. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

They can't be the same. The price is diffent there must be something different.:eek:

18. generik macrumors 601

generik

I don't really like Grados, it seems like music sounds too upfront and personal when on those as compared to Senns.. Senns also give a better sound stage imho,

19. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah, i have a pair of sony's they are really good. not the pro pair, but still a decent pair i got for about $100. so i would imagine the $130 pair would be that much better!

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I went to check this out on google and guess what the top hit was? (probably because of the misspelling)

Attached Files:

21. WillMak macrumors 6502a

22. direzz macrumors 6502

ya same. but the thing is for that amount of money the sound is excellent. certainly better than the ipod headphones :rolleyes: