High-End iPhone 7 Plus With Dual Cameras Could Be Called 'iPhone Pro'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The rumored high-end iPhone 7 Plus with dual cameras could be named the "iPhone Pro," according to questionable information shared by Chinese website MyDrivers [Google Translate]. Apple is reportedly considering the name to distinguish the device from the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, said to include standard single-lens cameras.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously suggested Apple is working on two versions of the iPhone 7 Plus, one with a single-lens camera and one with a dual-lens camera, to be sold alongside an iPhone 7 with a single-lens camera. That rumor itself sounds questionable as it would splinter Apple's iPhone lineup, but Kuo firmly believes that is Apple's plan and has mentioned it in two separate research notes.

[​IMG]
    A mockup of what the iPhone 7 could look like with no protruding camera lens and redesigned antenna bands​

In recent months, MyDrivers has shared several details on the iPhone 7 and the iPhone SE, but as neither device has launched, the site's accuracy is still in question. Apple has used the same general number-based naming scheme for its lineup of flagship iPhones since the iPhone 3G launched in 2008, so the information provided by MyDrivers should be viewed with some skepticism until confirmed by a source with a solid track record.

It's possible rumors of an iPhone Pro are surfacing due to the unique name Apple's 4-inch iPhone is expected to adopt -- iPhone SE -- and the rumored naming plan for the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad. The device will reportedly be branded as an iPad Pro rather than an ipad air 3, naturally leading to speculation that Apple could make the same shift in its iPhone lineup.

The iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus are not expected to debut until the fall of 2016, but multiple details about the devices have already leaked. In addition to an iPhone 7 Plus version with dual cameras, both devices are rumored to include a water resistant body, no headphone jack, and a design that does away with the rear antenna bands and protruding camera.

Article Link: High-End iPhone 7 Plus With Dual Cameras Could Be Called 'iPhone Pro'

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68020

spiderman0616

3. iCloudStrife macrumors member

iCloudStrife

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

5. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Kuo has never really been reliable, but 4 different iPhone models? There's no chance.

6. Supacon macrumors member

Supacon

<s>Yeah, this totally sounds legit.</s>

7. chriscrk macrumors 6502

chriscrk

The name thing is getting so messy... What would the next generation be called?

iPhone Pro 2? New iPhone Pro?

8. exodiusprime macrumors regular

exodiusprime

The "Pro" name seems to be tossed around like salad these days. Give me a "Pro" phone that has an OLED display, four speakers like the iPad Pro, 4GB RAM, 256GB+ storage, the ability to automate my taxes, and can switch to OSX and perhaps it'll be worthy of the name ;)

9. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

10. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

The naming would be interesting yet by the same token a disappointing departure from the current legacy of model names/naming

Then again as long as the design and features interest me and the price point doesn't make any huge crazy leaps I'll still buy

11. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 6502a

LoveToMacRumors

so basically, 4 phones will come out in the same year? that's bs

12. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I wouldn't be surprised -- on name or that they'd want to add another premium SKU.

They probably see all these $850+ purchases (based on the number of 64GB 6+/6S+ I see daily) and think "Hey, we could add a little more here and there, add a suffix to the name, and sell it for $1200!".

I don't want to say it's good or bad until such a product exists and can be compared to what we have. Hard to determine value proposition otherwise.

13. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Kuo is not perfect, but he is the number-one most reliable person in the world when it comes to Apple-related rumors.

14. PoppaKap macrumors member

Can't wait until the S version, so that I can buy an iPhone 7s Plus Pro.

15. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

16. Soni Sanjay macrumors 6502

Soni Sanjay

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Will it have Pro features, or are we calling everything Pro nowadays?

18. randyroverly macrumors newbie

randyroverly

19. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

It would probably be reasonable to expect iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 7 Pro. I doubt they'd tack on that many suffixes -- but hey, never know! We have iPad Mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro right now, after all...

20. Icaras macrumors 601

Icaras

If true, finally some consistency in Apple's naming scheme. I actually hope this happens.

21. iLoveDeveloping macrumors regular

So unlike the iPhone 6 & 6Plus 6S & 6SPlus with their optical image stabilisation difference?? Ye ok, Apple would never do that........

22. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

23. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

I seriously believe Apple is going away from naming things iPad 3, or iPhone 7 and just naming them iPhone.