High End users

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coast, Sep 26, 2002.

1. coast macrumors newbie

I've been searching for results on mac/pc render times for more high end users. These forums are great, and I thought it would be beneficial to others inquiring about higher end After Effects benchmarks. (I wish we could get benchmarks for Combustion/Maya/Lightwave...just a comparison..no need for the back in forth mac vs pc, just honest marks to help make informed decisions before purchasing.) (Please don't start a mac vs. pc issue, because I know there are a lot of things to consider between the Mac and PC, and benchmarks aren't the endall..just another tool. As a mac user, (recent PC purchaser for my work), I found the numbers very interesting and helpful. I'm glad they were tested. Sure there is not a review of the 1.25, etc, etc, but the article is still there for consideration. Would I like to have the new 1.25 and cinema display on my desk...yes...but these results made me think twice and really consider all my options. I enjoy the latest gossip/news on this site (and i can't wait to buy my parents an iMac so they can get rid of their very, very old dell which is on its last leg). Cheers..and I hope this helps those that might be interested.
    http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07_jul/features/cw_macvspc2.htm

2. phil c macrumors newbie

i use lightwave 7.5 on mac and pc of similar specs and there is no appreciable difference i can see - im sure there is its just beyond the perseption of the normal human eye - things change when i use photoshop 7 on both platforms though the mac leaves the pc for dead especially on files greater than 250mb.

3. Jookbox macrumors 6502

you won't find many high-end or professional mac users here.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you feeling ok? :confused:
    Of course you will find these people here, for god sake, we even have a group developing a friggin game (gone3d interactive).

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

We just got a bunch of Boxx stations at my work for our 3D lab. I have a dual 1.25 sitting in a fedex station that'll be getting to me by wed.(courtesy of General Cybernetics http://www.generalcybernetics.com/apple )

Once I get it all settup its coming into work with me one day.

why? I've been debating with a co about them for some time, and we've decided to put them against each other. we're going to benchmark After Effects, Maya, and Photoshop, since these are the programs they're primarily used for (and we cant test FCP on the Boxx).

This will probably happen at some point in October. I will post the results when it's done.

6. coast thread starter macrumors newbie

teabgs Response

hey teabgs,

I think that would be awesome and really beneficial if you could take the time to test the 2 types of machines. I look forward to the results, and I know they will be helpful to others who might be considering purchasing a really high end box. Time is money, right? I'll have my new Boxx machine in October. I know it will be a little faster than my G4 Cube. ;-) If I can help out at that time with results I would love to. Combustion/Shake/AE/LW/Maya 4.5 would be the ones I am interested in. All the best and thanks for doing this. Cheers. -coast

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Please - there are more professional users here than you might expect - go flame somewhere else.

I've had Lightwave on both macs and PCs and for a while PCs were doing much better rendering, but 7 and 7.5 has made a huge difference (my guess is that the code was rewritten for native in OSX).

I'll be really interested to see teabgs test on his dual 1.25 with maya....

D