High pitched fan whine...HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by coolbreeze, Feb 4, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003

I just bought a 15" iMac from someone, and set it up last night. I switched from a homemade PC that was very loud (fan noise) and was very excited about the silent iMac (in comparison). So as soon as I powered it on last night, I hear this irritating high-pitch whine (suppose it is the fan) that the iMac emits. It isn't the Hard Drive issue discussed here, rather a continious whine. Wow, it is annoying. Is there anything I can do? The seller transferred his Applecare to me (2.5 years left) but I have a feeling they will tell me it's normal operation.

It is very annoying, to the point of giving me a headache. I think the base needs to be dusted [edit] the actual inside of the base...was thinking about using compressed air...blowing it into the cd drive, and through the top holes)....oh yeah, any advice on how to safely do this?
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    if the fan whine is constant, it is definitely NOT normal... you are covered. use it.

my parents' imac's fan blows sometimes.... and it makes sounds when it loads up a cd, or comes up from sleep. but mostly it's silent.....

as for the dusting... i guess i'd just say to turn the machine off, and use a dust cloth... nothing damp...... that's a start at least... if it's so dusty that that doesn't help, then i'm not sure where to go from there.