High-pitched screeching noise from 5G iPod HD?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by zephead, Nov 29, 2006.

1. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I have a 5.0G 30GB iPod that's not quite a year old yet (will be in March), and for no reason at all I just decided to hold the iPod up to my ear and listen to the HD spin up while I connected it to my computer. When I did, I heard the HD spin up but with a screeching noise (like nails on a chalkboard :eek: ) and the noise randomly changed pitch. I fiddled around with it some more to see if the presence of the noise varied with different functions, but as long as it was on, it screeched, even if it wasn't doing anything. The screeching isn't an annoying noise issue since I can only hear it when I hold the iPod up to my ear, but I'm kinda worried about the HD screwing itself up. I'm thinking about notifying Apple about it, but I just wanted to see what you guys would think first.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it's not too difficult, I'd use iTunes to reformat it and restore its firmware. This will erase everything on the iPod and set it back to its default settings, but it might prolong your iPod's hard drive. :)

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That could be the noise from the clickwheel. Believe it or not, the clickwheels on older 5Gs can whine too. Some 2G Nanos had an amplified version of this problem.

4. zephead thread starter macrumors 68000

zephead

Thnaks, I'll try that. :)

Do you know if that would that have any adverse effect on the clickwheel eventually? If not, then it probably wouldn't be a problem.

5. zephead thread starter macrumors 68000

zephead

Well, I restored my iPod today and it still has the screeches. Even if it is just the clickwheel, I just want to be sure and call/e-mail Apple. Thanks for the help. :)