High-Pitched Whining Noise on 5.5G?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TobyM, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TobyM macrumors member

I hope you can help me.

I noticed today that my iPod 5.5G has some kind of high-pitched-noise, which can only be heard when you almost put your ear on the iPod when it´s on.

I heard about this "problem" with the 2nd gen Nanos, but never with the 5.5G.

As i said, it´s a very high frequency kind of noise, and I guess some (older) people wont even hear it, but its definitely there and noticeable from a very very short distance.

It´s like this sound, but much quieter, and only noticeable when you literally put your ear right onto the iPod:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVYxwRnWJo

Does your 5.5G or 5G has this noise?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That will probably be the sound of the hard drive doing its thing. Nothing to worry about.

Solution: don't put your ear onto the iPod. You'll get far better sound quality by plugging in and wearing the headphones. ;)

3. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the hint ;)

But I thought the harddrive only spins up when it has to refill its 32MB flash memory, and then stops again?

4. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

I could need some more help, please!

You could do me a huge favour by simply putting your ear onto your iPod for a second and listening if your hear that kind of sound.
    Because if thats normal or even happening on many iPods, I´ll keep it. Otherwise, I´ll return it.

5. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

I could need some more help, please!

Put your ear on the Display when the iPod is on, and write me if you hear that noise...