Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
iTunes 3

I noticed on her computer she has the old apple pro keyboard, jaguar background, and a purple iTunes icon in her dock, indicating iTunes 3, which doesn't have the store, which is wierd since the store is on her screen. Man, i'm a nerd.

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
Phantom Caps

Originally posted by winmacguy

Go Pepsi and Go Apple!!!

Just returned this afternoon from a ski trip and I noticed lots of Pepsi bottles with yellow caps on them scattered all over the tables at the ski lodge.

Nobody seemed to take much notice of the caps at all.....I'd say the recycling bin had a few dozen or so empty bottles with the caps still on them.

Perhaps more coverage will get people to take a second look at the yellow caps, but if the ski lodge was any sort of barometer, MOST of the songs will go unclaimed.

Time to rummage through some recycling bins!

:eek:

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
just some things i noticed

first of all.. like some other people have said. i did not like the ad at first. but this more "post-production", "high-quality" bversion on apple.com as grown on me. but for an ad at the superbowl, you don't want an ad that someone has to see 3 or 4 times b4 they really "get it", especially someone who doesn't know all of what this is all about.

anywase.

i noticed that in the commercial, "Apple Computer" is actually never referred to. it is only iTunes. also this seems a little gramatically wrong..

when the three girls are laughing and there is a title that says "Download Music at iTunes". well "at" refers to a place. they don;t say "At itunes.COM", just "At itunes".

shouldnt it really say downlaod musuc "With" iTunes. or "on" itunes lol.

i also think they don't leave the titles on for long enough.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Re: didn't work...

Originally posted by geerlingguy
Apple/Pepsi, could you please put some bottlecaps in the mail for me? ;)

I don't drink pepsi, not going to start either. I'd rather pay iTunes my $0.99 upfront instead of buying that gunk (for a dollar) and only having a 1 in 3 chance of getting what I really want

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: iTunes 3

Originally posted by jimsowden
I noticed on her computer she has the old apple pro keyboard, jaguar background, and a purple iTunes icon in her dock, indicating iTunes 3, which doesn't have the store, which is wierd since the store is on her screen. Man, i'm a nerd.

Well, I'm impressed. Perhaps it shows better at higher res (I d/l'd the medium version), but I had to stare at it a while to convince myself that you were right. Of course, from what I understand, the screen is actually just editted in, so it's probably a PS composite starting from some stock screenshot that they had in their archives. Unfortunately, that screenshot seems to have been made with iTunes 3. Or, perhaps with a beta of iTunes 4 before they changed the icon...

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Originally posted by carletonmusic
is there a streaming link (like MWSF) of the superbowl? I'm at work and can't escape (no tv)

I think CBS.com *might* be streaming it... I didn't see anything that would suggest it, though; I do know that CBS has little videos from different features...

Speaking of CBS.com, it seems that Pepsi has sponsored the Super Bowl's site on CBS.com — a picture from the page:

Attachments

• pepsi-itunes-sweetspot.gif
    pepsi-itunes-sweetspot.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 922

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Re: iTunes 3

Originally posted by jimsowden

Confirmed!:

Attachments

• desktop2.jpg
    desktop2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 835

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
The ad is not bad but the rationale is not very good. It's kind of a snotty, "I was guilty but I'm going to keep doing it." This is OK. It would be better if they had something that was more redemptive at a deep level. Kind of like turning the devilish downloader into the angelic iTunes user. It doesn't have to be obvious but it works at a deeper level.

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
Apple 1984 ad in SuperBowl 2004

How cool,

Apple did show the 1984 ad. And nobody knew it in advance. Except that I had hoped for something spectacular...

Greco

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
The ad just aired... I'm still unimpressed...

You'd think that advertising people would realize that text in ALL CAPS is very hard to read, especially when it's a sans-serif font...

Go Panthers!

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
It finally aired!

It finally aired!!! (6:18 CST)

I thought the text stayed up long enough... Looked okay, especially compared to all the other LAME commercials. Reminds me of y2k, when all the dumb Internet-company commercials were playing! Argh!

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Re: Apple 1984 ad in SuperBowl 2004

Originally posted by ElGreco
How cool,

Apple did show the 1984 ad. And nobody knew it in advance. Except that I had hoped for something spectacular...

Greco

When did you see that?!? I've watched since about 30 mins before Super Bowl (on CBS), and no Apple commercial...

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
1984 or Pepsi?

Which commercial did you see? 1984 or Pepsi? Because in German Pay-TV ("Premiere") the old 1984 commercial just aired.

Greco

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
at 6:18, Central time (US), I saw the ad on Apple's website... no 1984 ad on CBS in the US... Odd that Apple would play 1984 in other countries, but no us...

btw, 1984 won 4th place on CBS's web poll of greatest Superbowl commercials.

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
I saw the 1984 ad about two minutes before my initial posting. But I am getting the idea that this German Pay TV I am watching does in fact replace commercial breaks for other stuff. But then again, why should they exchange it for another commercial they are not being payed for?

I have come up with two solutions:

1. There are some enthusiastic Apple Evangelists working at "Premiere" Pay TV

2. Apple Germany has decided to place a commercial in the German SuperBowl show. Must have been a lot cheaper than in the USA...

Greco

Performfreak

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Cedar Falls/Des Moines, IA
it makes sense they didn't play the pepsi/itunes ad outside of the US since the promotion is only valid in the US.

That's probably why some people saw the 1984 ad... maybe it was the filler for the empty spot the pepsi/itunes ad created internationally?

ElGreco

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2001
No more commercials here in Germany so far

I don't think it was a replacement for the Pepsi ad, because in German Pay-TV there is almost no advertising. Above all, SuperBowl is by far not as important as in the US here in Germany.

greco

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Originally posted by Performfreak
it makes sense they didn't play the pepsi/itunes ad outside of the US since the promotion is only valid in the US.

That's probably why some people saw the 1984 ad... maybe it was the filler for the empty spot the pepsi/itunes ad created internationally?

You know, that makes a lot of sense. I think thats the answer. But the question is this, is it the old 1984 or the new iPod 1984?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.