high quality mic for iphone?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by firewood, Oct 27, 2008.

1. macrumors 604

Jul 29, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    What's the highest quality mic available which can be plugged directly into an iphone? (e.g. no separate pre-amp required) I'm looking for a better alternative to the mic on the iPhone's headset earbuds, for taking spur-of-the-moment field recordings with my iPhone.

2. macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
  3. macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2008
    I have been looking for the same thing and my conclusion so far is that I will have to hack a cable and make something myself. From what I can tell, if you used an existing mic/headset or audio/video cable with 3.5mm plug you could cut it and then wire to a stereo headphone jack and mono mic jack.

I have a XLR to 3.5mm cable for plugging a mic into small inputs but it's 3.5mm plug is basically a mono audio connection so it wouldn't work with an iphone. I will need something that doesn't follow the same 4 contact configuration of the iphone jack. If that makes sense. You could even add a switch in there for pausing music since that happens just by shorting two of the conductors if I understand it correctly.

Good luck. If you find something that you see as quality you should post. there's not many, but there are a few people interested in this.

Also, you should check out an app called 4 tracks lite if you haven't already. It looks very promising.
  4. geerlingguy, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2003
    The Midwest, USA
    I've finally found a pretty good solution allowing me to plug in directly a Shure SM58/PG48/almost any dynamic mic, along with most lavalieres, a Crown SoundGrabber II PZM boundary mic, etc.