Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I was looking for a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch so I can use my Mac and PC on the same desk without unpluging wires. I've read about problems with keyboards and mice response times and odd keyboard problems so I just want to buy a VGA switch box.

The Mac and the PC both have a standard VGA port but I need a VGA switch box that supports high resoutions from an SVGA Monitor (for example 1280x1024 with about a 75-80hz refresh rate for the PC, but only 1024x768 on the Mac) this is important because I play games a lot on my PC and I don't want to have ghosting, rolling, or some other unwanted effect that you might get from a cheap KVM switch.

I would guess a high-quality VGA switch box would be cheaper than a high-quality KVM switch so that's what I'm aiming for since I don't want to spend a lot of money (uner $50 would be nice)

Does anyone own any of these or had any expierence with them? or have any suggestions?
Any advise would be a lot of help, thanks! :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I just recently got a Gefen DVI monitor switch for a machine at work, but that's a completely different animal from a VGA switch, it was around $300.

IOGear and Belkin both make a switch for well under $50, in fact their KVMs are around $35 - pretty reasonable.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Lord Blackadder said:
I just recently got a Gefen DVI monitor switch for a machine at work, but that's a completely different animal from a VGA switch, it was around $300.

IOGear and Belkin both make a switch for well under $50, in fact their KVMs are around $35 - pretty reasonable.

Thanks. I would still like to know if anyone use one of those models, see how the video was. I'll look at their online store anyway, :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Not compatible with 17" screen or bigger!?!? What!?

Belkin's Web Page said:
Please note: This switch is not compatible with 17 inch monitors or larger
D'oh! I have a 19" monitor... looks like I'll just keep plugging in and unplugging everything. :rolleyes: Honestly for $55 I'd expect more...

IOGEAR's Web Page said:
IOGEAR Outlet Store is temporarily offline for maintenance.
We want to make sure our site can provide the best service, so we're doing a bit of house cleaning.
Just my luck...

I saw a nice model, it was a regular KVM switch but it supported a high-res and was only $50 so I'll probably look into that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.