High Rate Of Bannings Recently

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lexus, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I have been part of this community for a couple of months now and through out that time there have been a couple of banning's a week but in the last week I have noticed alot of bannings. For example there is Macpastor, Technicolor, dndcomputers etc..

Why the sudden surge in banning people?

If this is a topic that should not be spoken about please delete this thread.

Thank you.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

People are given opportunities to respond to mods' inquiries and to change their behavior/ attitude prior to being banned. Reasons for banning? Um, not following forum rules. Period.

And that's not that many bannings really. :p

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Moderators aren't supposed to discuss the issues with anyone but the person banned but basically it comes down to people being abusive.

Check the latest posts of each of those people. They will have broken the rules. You follow the rules, you aren't banned. It's that simple.

4. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I'm not a mod but I could tell you why most of them were banned. (search!)

Macpastor: claimed scamming in MP with a dup account from a banned one

Technicolor: Personal attacks and ****-stirring related to the 50-cent thing

Dndcomputers: same as Macpastor.

5. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

What is MP?

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Marketplace

8. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Another thing of note is that not all bans are permanent. Some people are banned forever, and others are just given some time to <parental voice>think about what they did</parental voice>. The "Banned" text applies to both cases.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

lexus is correct that the number of banned members has increased over the last couple of months. However, the rate is actually much the same as it was all last year. For some reason, the early months of this year have had fewer of what I call spamvertisers (people who join to post an ad and link to a commercial site), and those constitute many of the bans.

Bans for other problems, such as for a member who continues to troll or post personal insults after being warned not to, have not increased or decreased noticeably.

Over time, the ever-increasing number of members at MacRumors and increased awareness of the site on the Mac web can be expected to produce more of all types of members, from the friendly and helpful ones we welcome to the spamvertisers we remove.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I love the smell of fried spammer in the morning. It smells like ..... Victory.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Damn she got banned.....i liked her...she had spunk...hope it was a 24hour ban.

Bless

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

14. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

I guess I am saying this at the risk of my own demise after being a forum member for years, but I kind of agreed with "tech" on the 50 cent issue, not any personal comments against people...of course. :p

15. tveric macrumors 6502

It's a private site, and they're certainly allowed to ban whomever they want to ban. As users on the site, we have a choice - we can keep coming here, or decide that the moderators are out of control here and start frequenting other sites. It's totally up to the individual. If you don't like it here, fine, stop coming here. Easy, right?

That being said, if you've been here and other boards for any length of time, don't try to tell me that the banning here isn't really "that much" or "that many". It's a ridiculous claim. I challenge anyone to find a Mac-centric forum where the censorship and banning comes anywhere CLOSE to the lengths it takes place here. I also notice that people seem to be somewhat less-knowledgeable and less intelligent (on the AVERAGE - not picking on anyone in particlar here!) than on other Mac-centric boards. I don't know why that is, it's just the way it seems to be here.

16. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

Dang, that should be a real HTML tag!

And when you mouse over it, the enclosed text is pronounced in such a voice-- and it flashes red!

(Humor, of course).

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The fact that there's a somewhat tighter rein on things is what keeps me coming back here...arn and the mods do a tremendous job of keeping the forums user-friendly, nearly spam-free, and a pleasant environment to visit.

As MR has grown, it has developed into much more than a Mac site, which may be why it appears that users are knowledgeable than elsewhere. There are an awful lot of people who come here for a wide range of discussion, and the Mac issues are a very minor part of it for them. And there's nothing wrong with that...it's what makes MR great.

I feel like MR also draws a large number of newbies with questions, as the relative size of the forums and breadth of discussion here makes them often come up near the top of Google searches.

18. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Just be careful that you don't do something like that ;).

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It doesn't smell as pungently if you don't stir it though! :(

20. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

This is true :).

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I find it far more pleasant that many forums out there - hence why there are more bannings from those who disrupt the applecart; not so much with their views but with their ways of expressing them.

I might give you less knowledgeable compared to places like the Mac Ach or Macosxhints but less intelligent? I'd disagree on that one for most of the regulars here. But since MR comes up pretty high on the list of Mac sites, I suspect we get more than our fair share of hit-and-runs who make particularly stupid comments on new hardware/software and are rarely seen again.

22. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't know but I'm pretty happy about the most recent ban victim. Keep up the good work mods.

23. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Fresh kill (and I'm not saying why on this one)

Attached Files:

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'd say that most of the hit-and-runs come from other forums. I know of one that's moderated rather lightly, so it takes a lot of abuse before anything is done. Some of the other Mac forums are poorly attended and I'm not sure they have or need moderators at all.

Considering the number of active people during a day from anywhere in the world, things aren't so bad.

Still, I feel like I'm missing out on some of the action. :D

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Want to log on as me for a while? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.