High-res PDF's to publishers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteveBeat, Sep 14, 2004.

1. SteveBeat macrumors member

In OSX, is it possible to export from Quark into PDF format so one could send it to publishers (newspapers, magazines, etc.) I understand that there are basically default settings one should have for doing this, but I don't know them. Is there any way one could accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

To save anything in OS X to pdf, click print, and then there is an option 'save to pdf'. I have never used Quark but I guess it should be the same for that too.

cheers

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Here's what you want to do if you want to supply good PDF files to your publishers - invest in Adobe Acrobat 6. Print to PostScript from Quark and use Distiller's built-in PDF/X-1a settings to create a nice print-ready PDF file.

Now, assuming that you may not have the cash to lay out for Acrobat (which is about $280 for the Standard version), you could possibly do it out of Quark in OS X. To do this, since Quark has it's own Print dialog box, you'll need to go to "Printer..." from the Quark Print dialog and then go to "Output Options" and click on the check box to save as a PDF file. This should give you your Quark file as PDF will all of the Quark options (bleed, color seps, etc.) in place.

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

While it's possible to export a PDF directly out of Quark- the method with the most control and precision is to export as a postscript, and use Acrobat Distiller to generate a PDF.

In Quark, set up your print options as you want them, then:

-Press 'Printer'

-Select 'Output Options'

-Select 'Save As File'

-Select '.ps'

-Hit 'Ok'

-Hot 'Print'.

This generates the postscript- In Distiller, you can set up all your options for quality, font embedding, etc.. Make sure to uncheck 'Allow postscript file to overwrite Adobe PDF settings'. This insures that your file will be end up the dpi you set in Distiller, not whatever it was in Quark.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does this generate high-res images? I always had a devil of a time getting distiller to do that on PC, at least, when I needed it at a previous job. :(

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i assume you're using QX6 and not running a lower version in the Classic environment.

first, under Preferences/PDF, make sure "Direct to PDF" is checked, not "Create PostScript file for later distilling."

then, when you're ready to print a PDF, use File/Export/Layout as PDF... to create a PDF.

but as emw said, if you can afford the full version of Acrobat, it's better to print to a PostScript file and distill it with Distiller. (just check "Create PostScript file for later distilling" and use "File/Export/Layout as PDF..." as before to create a PS file.) you'll get better (meaning cleaner/smaller/more compliant) files that way.

7. SteveBeat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help so far, everyone. I don't know if this is exactly what I need, though. I was thinking more along the lines of the actual SETTINGS for a PDF document that is being sent out for publication. Like what would one set the dpi, etc., to for a print ad? However, your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's going to depend on how you're printing it. The publisher usually has specs for this sort of thing. Magazines and newspapers, for example, have vastly different requirements -- it's best to contact the publisher. When in doubt, use the highest available setting.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I would think most magazines are printed at 150 or 175 line screen, possibly as low as 133 but I doubt that. Double the line screen to get the required dpi. As a general rule, 300-350 dpi for photo's and 1200 dpi for text should do the trick for most any form of print production.

Is this info what you're looking for?

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Depending on the press, stock etc...

CMYK & greyscale: Between 300-450 ppi (pixels per inch), max JPG quality when compressing images.

Leave colour unaltered unless they demand an embedded profile.
    Overprint EPS black.

Bitmap/line TIFFs: 1200-2400 ppi for clean sharp edges.

Embed all fonts.

11. jptrott macrumors newbie

High-res PDF's to publishers?

There is a better faster way of doing this with out having to create a ps file.

If you have Acrobat you can create a Acrobat PDF printer that will allow you to control the quality of the pdfs the same way that distiller will.

to set it up go to the print set up utiltiy.

While selecting "add printer" hold do the option key.

From the pull down there will now be a option for and " advanced" setup
    Next in the "Device" pull down select the "Adobe PDF" selection you want the one that setsup the Deviede uri to be "pdf://distiller" and gives a name the printer model.

Thats it. Now it will act the same way as the PDF printer did under OS 9. and you will have more control of the PDFs you printer rather then the standards of the OSX pdf printing.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

13. SteveBeat thread starter macrumors member

14. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

many printers can send you specs based on your specific workflow. i use quark and distiller, and usually get a PDF with all of the relevant Quark settings and then a Distiller options file i use to set up Acrobt properly. you should ask them if they can provide you with the same.

15. jptrott macrumors newbie

an added note to my previous comments.

If you set a "Adobe PDF printer" you will not have to take the added steps of going through the distiller.

Once you setup your settings in distiller you won't have to use it again and those setings will be in the "PDF options" pull down.