High School Football

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zach, Aug 22, 2006.

1. zach macrumors 65816

zach

anyone play? started my senior season yesterday.

you never remember how bad double sessions are until you start them again...

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I played when I was in high school - O line. It was such a blast, even though we'd have days with three a day practices. My only advice is cherish the season, as you may never play an organized game of football again after it. when the clock struck zero on my last football game ever it was one of the saddest moments of my life.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    2 a days suck....

that's what we called them anyway...

I remember taking a shot from the RB's helmet right into my chin...i had a concussion and didn't know it....I barfed, and passed out during the lunch break...then went out and hit some more...

Football is great if your coach isn't a maniac....mine was...

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

my highschool doesn't have enough kids to have a football team.

6. zach thread starter macrumors 65816

zach

i will... i'd love to play college ball, and just about every school i'm looking at is DIII, but even DIII, even as a benchwarmer, is at such a high level, it's absurd.

so yeah, i'm gonna cherish this season ;)

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I played my sophomore year. It was tough, but worth it. The guys I played with went on to win the CIF 4A championship our senior year in front of about 25,000 people at Aneheim Stadium - wayyy back in 1977. That was Los Altos High under the direction of Dwayne Despain. Great leader and coach. For his career 1967 to 1996 243-94 (10 ties).

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i was kind of scared in hs to play that sport...i did some others

we have all heard stories of people who got injuries in hs football and carried pain years later...i wonder if that's more true than the regular course of many boys becoming men, gaining weight through the years, and aging in general?

any stories?

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

ah yes..the end of summer brings football...a beautiful time of year ;)

i haven't played tackle ball, but you know what's fun (but people think it's for wooses), touch or flag football. still football...still gotta catch, defend and return INTs to TDs :)

so enjoy, but don't give up :)

10. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

i played in high school, and i remember how awful daily doubles were, oh god. football was like a religion at my high school, and i felt everyone took it way too seriously

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Yeah, I mean, I loved football, but I just couldn't commit to the amount of time required for even a DIII program (let alone I wasn't good enough,,, that's another story). My buddy plays division III and right now he's got football practices, workouts, and meetings from 6:30 AM to 10:30 PM.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Well I played varsity football for two years during highschool. (Freshmen, Sophmoreyears). I got tired of it. Same goes with basketball. did that my 1st two years of highschool. got tired of that too. Ive never enjoyed it. Only reasons I had participated was the coaches found me in the hallway, surrounded me, and pressured me into joining... *******s. My dad made me play basketball for years. I got so sick of that BS.

My Junior year I did not go to summer training, I didn't go to two a days. One came to my friggin house and I told him to get the F off my property im sick of playing sports for all the wrong reasons. I have never loved going to practice, I have never loved any of my teammates, I have never loved my coaches, I have never loved actually playing the damn sport to begin with. So why the hell should I play just because I'm "good" at it. It does not mean I enjoy it.

Oh the argument "it doesn't matter if you enjoy it..." yeah way to persuade me.

There are other experiences I would rather not go into. They are so fresh in my memory even though this was a few years go. So I stood by the argument there is no appeal to practice for so long, to only play so little during a game. I did start.. but that's not the point. It's not worth all months of training just to play a 30 minute game. If it's to stay in shape I can do that on my own. If it's teamwork I'd rather do that in a job where I would paid for my efforts. Not yelled at some more by an ******* coach who has some vandetta against me.

Yes I did get in a fight with a coach once... if you're wondering.

Funny because a lot of this could be said the same about my religious experiences. Sorry to rant, but I think you know what my stance is on sports now :p Those are what I got out of it. So much for a ****ing wonderful highschool experience.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

how old are you? and were those negative experiences in high school sports recent?

i remember some hard times with a couple of obsessed coaches on my sports teams, but as time went on, i pretty much remember some of the hard stuff fondly, with humor

one track coach, who held the national record for consecutive swim meet wins, had this unusual phobia about losing...but our track team was mediocre while our swim team got into sports illustrated

so he, and the other coach (for what reason i don't know) worked our butts off but many years later it all seems so funny now...we would do some cross country training through town, unsupervised, and grab a snack

on our soccor team, we were pathetic, but our coach had this psycho fantasy of turning us into a football team and we got into so much trouble touching the soccor ball and tackling our opponents...he was young and i think on his way to schizophrenia

it all seems funny now, except for the schizophrenic coach...that is truly a terrible disease which robs people of their best and most productive years...but that's another thread for another day

14. zach thread starter macrumors 65816

zach

i think you're completely right in your reaction after your sophomore year... i think you should only play a sport if you love it, i don't think just because you're a good athlete or something you have a responsibility to it.

i am not the best football player, in fact i'm not even close, and i'm sure there's a lot of kids on the soccer team and cross country who would be a lot better than me, but the fact that i CHOOSE to play it is what i think is important.

anyway, final day of doubles tommorow, next week is 4 hour singles from 2-6...

15. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i wish i was still in high school and still play football (and bball and lacrosse again too)

my little bro just started high school. he is only a freshman and he starts at TE and LB for JV, and also plays Varsity where he starts kickoff team and is backup LB. he is an animal.