High School Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Jun 24, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I don't think Hollywood displays High School as they way it really is in these movies they make. "Mean girls" and this other one that is out there just seem way over the top, at least in my school. Where I go everybody just does their own thing. Sure you got "groupies" and stuff, but we all just sorta mingle in and out. No one is really out to get anyone else. This isn't a freakin' mafia.. lol.. Nevertheless, that movie "Stand and Deliever" I thought was a very good motivational type of movie. Perhaps what happend in that movie could have been what happend in real life back in 83...... Then again "Lean On Me" was way over the top. Morgan Freeman carrying around a bat and saying "I know what you mean brother.." Please...... :eek:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, they have to spice it up to get you to watch. If you thought "that's just like my school and my school is boring", no one would likely see it outside of the production crew.

The most interesting time in my h.s. was when these ex-h.s. (dropouts, graduates--I don't know) dudes would run into the school, make trouble with the black students, and run out once they got the mess started. We ended up with police in the halls for quite a few months but even that was boring.

Dazed and Confused reminded me a lot of school but they didn't show much of the school day since it was the last day before summer.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Not Another Teen Movie best represents my high school , well not really at all.

teen movies don't really mimmcik life, the high school is more of a setting to provoke the plot than an actual high school

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I agree. If movies showed High Schools how they really are, it would be pretty boring (for the most part). Ok in my high school things maybe get a bit bad once and a while but nothing like the movies we see today. The movie is made for entertainment and to tell a story, I think a "wild" high school in a movie is there for entertainment. It is there to make some kids say, "Hey, I wish my school was like that." Heh, movies aren't always correct. Remember, it's just a movie. :p

5. grneyedjay macrumors member

6. codycartoon macrumors regular

Maybe you should make your own teen movie that displays your vision of high school more accurately...

I think the best high school movie of all time is Rushmore, although it didn't show the high school as much as the world of the protagonist, Max Fisher.

Dazed and Confused was cool as well.

-cody

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

American Pie was actually based on my high school.

I think teens are generally portrayed in a way that doesn't fit with reality. Lots of stereotyping, etc. I also never had males or females that looked like they often do in the movies. The guys are usually skinny until after high school and the girls aren't fully matured, with a few exceptions.

That is Hollywood for you!

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, only about 1 to 2 percent of teens in movies or on t.v. are actually teens, most are in their 20s. Some I've seen, have actually been in their 30s. :eek:

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yup. But at least they could use someone like me who would actually pass for a teen!

This is part of the reason I love Joan of Arcadia. Real teen-like actors on the show! With real teen problems. And not everyone is beautiful.

10. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

In the director's commentary of the flick, he makes mention that the movie bombed in an Asian country (which one I don't remember) because nobody in that country believes that anybody in US high schools are still virgins. I guess that's what happens when you use movies to make a picture of a country.