High Schools in Hurricane Regions - anyone have contact info?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by im_to_hyper, Sep 26, 2005.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there!

My school recently updated our Biology, Physics and Chemistry books so we now have hundreds of books from each subject that are four years old and looking for a good home. We will soon have Environmental Sciences books as well and may possibly have English Literature books as well. Instead of handing them out to students as extra study material, we have decided to give them out to schools filled with hurricane refugees. I am contacting various districts in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, but most of the circuits are busy or the lines have been temporarily disconnected.

I have tried calling East Jefferson High School in Jefferson Parish along with the Houston Independent School District and the East Baton Rouge School District.

Does anyone know of other schools that may need these books because they are hosting refugees? Contact names, numbers?

Thanks!

-im_to_hyper

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Call HISD.

Houstonisd.org.

Call and ask. HISD has taken in a lot of evacuees, but we have weird things with state-approved textbooks and such.

3. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

I called them -- their administrative offices so hopefully they will call me back tommorow.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh. don't expect things to happen quickly with HISD.

really.

they'll take forever.

I have some friends that haven't gotten paid for gigs since LAST OCTOBER because it has to go through HISD. We aren't talking $20 or $30, but $400 or $800 (one is owed $1000)

:mad:

5. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

LOL. Oh well, I have left messages at 4 other districts and will be contacting the Mississippi board of education tommorow that was in the link above. Its first come, first serve I guess. I even changed my answering machine on my cellphone asking people to press three if they are calling from a school district in regards to book donations.

I suppose it doesn't matter which district or school gets them, as long as they have an actual need.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Archdiocese of New Orleans (the majority of schools in SE LA.)
    ph: 1-888-366-5024

Louisiana Public Schools:
    ph: 1(225) 342-3772

7. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Okay thanks guys, I am currently in contact with someone from the Baton Rouge school district.