Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingkezz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Hey all,

I'm making a documentary on snow culture as part of a school assignment and was wondering if anybody knew of any camera's (digital) that you can change the frame rate on.

I'm thinking I'll need like about 150fps, but if you can suggest anything higher than 25fps that'd be great.

Are you able to change the frame rate on something like a PD-150 or similar

I'm trying to get like flicking snow going through the air, so off a tree or bouncing off a ski/board when dropped.

Obviosuly no consumer/prosumer camera can go that fast but if you can suggest a good cheap rental place, in Australia, for a high speed camera, that'd be good to.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
kingkezz said:
Hey all,

I'm making a documentary on snow culture as part of a school assignment and was wondering if anybody knew of any camera's (digital) that you can change the frame rate on.

I'm thinking I'll need like about 150fps, but if you can suggest anything higher than 25fps that'd be great.

Are you able to change the frame rate on something like a PD-150 or similar

I'm trying to get like flicking snow going through the air, so off a tree or bouncing off a ski/board when dropped.

Obviosuly no consumer/prosumer camera can go that fast but if you can suggest a good cheap rental place, in Australia, for a high speed camera, that'd be good to.

Panasonic's HVX-200 does varibable frame rate, but only in 720p mode. You could always rent one and downconvert the HD footage to SD.

Lethal

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
LethalWolfe said:
Panasonic's HVX-200 does varibable frame rate, but only in 720p mode. You could always rent one and downconvert the HD footage to SD.

Lethal

It only goes up to 60 fps though.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Don't know any places in Australia the rents the gear your looking for, but I can tell you that you better have a lot of money. Film is probably what you're going to need.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
being a person that deals with people asking me that all the time (through my film and media dept at university, for some odd reason students want to make matrix style stuff), i have never seen a digital camera that can ramp a framerate that high. most commonly i've seen stuff captured at that sort of rate is done using high speed still cameras.

if you're in LA, there'll be a wealth of rental firms. give a few a bell, and see if they've got something capable. they will be film cameras, and they will be expensive. they may even point you in the way of a photography company who can get you a still camera capable of it.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
bigandy said:
being a person that deals with people asking me that all the time (through my film and media dept at university, for some odd reason students want to make matrix style stuff), i have never seen a digital camera that can ramp a framerate that high. most commonly i've seen stuff captured at that sort of rate is done using high speed still cameras.

if you're in LA, there'll be a wealth of rental firms. give a few a bell, and see if they've got something capable. they will be film cameras, and they will be expensive. they may even point you in the way of a photography company who can get you a still camera capable of it.
What about the mythbusters-style high-speed cameras? They're most definetly digital.... probably a good chunk of change though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.