High Speed Printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seabass069, Oct 24, 2005.

1. seabass069 macrumors regular

Does anyone know of a good high speed printer for the home. Right now I have a Canon PIXMA MP780. It's great as a multifunction, the speed is good too. But, I need a high speed printer for when I need to print out my homework. I need just a black and white printer. Any suggestions?

2. opik macrumors member

seabass069,

I would recommend you buy a monochrome laser printer, it is very economical in terms of price per toner and its printing capacity. The Samsung ML-225o is a good match for Mac OS X with both good graphics and text printing. Last time I checked, PC Magazine has calculated it to be just 2 cents per page. The HP LaserJet 1020 is also pretty good, except it has slightly higher operating costs and a lower speed of 15ppm compared to Samsung's 22ppm. I would compare the current prices stores prior to making a decision. :)

opik

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Definitely a laser printer. Samsung, HP, Brother, and even Lexmark are good brands of laser printers but check carefully for Mac OS X compatibility.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Look at rummage sales and the like for an old Laserjet. I got a Laserjet 5 with 30,000 pages printed for $20, with a full toner cartridge.

Mate it with a D-Link Wireless Print Server for $80, and you've got a heck of a combo for not much money.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you wanted to go with an inkjet...
    My HP Deskjet 6840 is fast! It does 30 ppm black, and 20 ppm color.
    great quality and tons of features...Costs $200.

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Do you have a budget at all?? And do you prefer inkjet or laser?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

I have a Brother 5170DN (Duplex and built in Networking) that works great with Mac OS X, Mac OS 9.2 and Windows XP.

It came with one install disk for all Operating Systems. Very easy to set up. Just connect via Cat5 cable to your hub and every computer can share. Of course you can connect it directly to a computer via USB or your standard Parallel (Centronics) port.

Has the ability to open the rear for straight pass through. Great for laser labels and envelopes, and paper that you don't want to curl/bend.

Very quiet when in standby mode.

Price was $289.

One thing that I really like, is that the drum and toner are easily replaceable unlike many other brands.

[Begin Edit] When set up as a network printer, supports Newton Messagepad printing. Just tried it. Works great. Very nice printout quality. [End Edit]

Sushi

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The HP LaserJet 5 is a good printer. Sounds like you got a great deal.

You can also do IR printing with the LaserJet 5 IIRC. This is nice if you happen to have a Newton Messagepad.

Sushi