High-tech Air travel

Discussion in 'Community' started by EGT, Sep 3, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Link

In-flight internet access sounds fantastic but I don't think i'd like a plane full of 200 people with phones going off every minute.

Opinions?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

In-flight Internet access for your laptop = good
    In-flight ability to use your cellphone = hideously bad because if some jabberbox sits next to me yakking on their phone the entire flight, I'm going to knock one of the windows out and help the air pressure differential suck them out of the plane :mad:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, internet access is good, but mobile phone services are bad.

And what happened to that talk about mobile phones interfering with electronic equipment on the airplane? Just because these mobile phone services are offered, doesn't make them safe. If it makes flying less safe, I could do without internet and mobile phone use.

In fact, all this talk about printing tickets ourselves, and self-checking in of baggage seems to mean that airline security can't possibly as tight as it was before. Not even close. From 2007 onwards, nobody is going to ask us if we packed our own bags, or whether we're carrying explosives in our baggage. I feel less safe already. :(

4. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Wanna know what really scared me one day?

When I travel I always take my transceiver (air-band scanner) with me. I'm a fairly big aviation nut so I take it with me everywhere with a wee book of the major frequencies to listen in on. (ok, i'm sad :p)

On one particular day, I was flying back home from Heathrow. It was only a few months after 9/11, security was extremely high and there was a surprisingly large amount of people traveling. I'd bought a Garmin GPS while i was in London so i had that, my transceiver and a list of frequencies in my carry on bag. While I was standing in the cue for the security thing i watched one security guard question and question this girl who was ... err ... traveling extremely light :rolleyes: She had a skimpy pair of high heel type shoes on yet they asked her to remove them and put them through the x-ray machine!??!

When it was my turn i walked straight through the "beep" machine but they wanted to look in my bag, me thinking i'd have to explain why i have a transceiver and GPS. They were only interested in my wallet that had loads of coins in it, which blocks out a clear view beneath it. Not even a glimpse at the GPS or transceiver. Doesn't take a genius to work out what they could be used for! :eek: That made me feel really unsafe. Who knows what passes through without even questioning. I know those sort of things aren't illegal or anything, it just kind of spooked me that they didn't ask why i had them.

Anyway, maybe I'm just being paranoid. Back on topic.... Internet good, Mobile phones bad.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree. It is not so bad that they jabber away, but it is the volume that they do it at. I try to embarrass these jerks by asking details after they finished their calls. Most will ask why I was listening in, and I tell them bluntly because they felt the need to talk so loudly as to disturb my quiet time/space. :D

6. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

That's a good one. I'm going to use it the next time that happens to me. :D

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Please do.

I do have a cell phone. But I am at the same point embarrassed if I have to absolutely take the phone call. But I have customers that stop and take phone calls about some drivel (like- "he said what to you? Well, you didn't want to that movie anyways...".)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Can not say that I would blame you clayj for wanting to do something like that if someone was talking on their cellular phone for an entire flight- it would get real annoying real fast!

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

<sarcasm>Oh come on! ANY girl who travels extremely light is definitely suspicious--more than potential terrorist equipment. I mean, how can a girl possibly travel with even one carry-on? </sarcasm>

BTW, to answer abstract--Cell phone signals have been proven to not affect regular airplane communications at all in multiple studies. There have been calls to allow cell phones on planes for a long time.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know where you are coming from. I am a walking Ginza store when I go through an airport (more electronic gear than anyone person should own :D ).

It surprised me with my trip to SF in late July. With the London bombings I was prepared to be "watched". It was only when I was leaving SFO on the 24th of July that my carry ons (the only items I had) were given an extra "pass" through the xray machine. I figured that with all the chargers and cables and such I should be prepared for a "search".

What surprised me on my trip was the lack of "nitrate" screening that I had in the the period between 9-11 and this flight in late July for all carry-on baggage.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm guessing you're white. ;)

I was questioned for 15 minutes by 3 different people while waiting for my bags to come out onto the conveyor belt AFTER a flight. Three people. The black family standing to my left was also questioned 3 times, while the white lady to my right was never bothered once.

Not saying security is very good, and I'm not saying that it's always a race thing, but sometimes being white gets you a pass, and you got a free pass despite all your electronics.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Yes, I am "white". But at the same point I shave my head and have a goatee. By some friends accounts I look like some Nazi extremist. But then again my ex and I went through almost an hour or so of "security procedures" a couple of years of ago in Las Vegas.

It seems that some film canisters I had tested positive for nitrates. These same canisters passed through ID (Dulles) on Christmas Day. All because of some hand lotion that we may used.

Our baggage was pulled from the cargo hold. Every inch of the bags, both checked and carry-on were checked with a fine tooth comb. What bothered me most was after being "cleared" I had to provide an id that was entered in to some log book.

I am waiting for us to fly naked.....

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I like it but probably wouldn't have the nerve to do it. Although I can tell you all about one guy meeting his bro' at Russel Square tube last night and explaining the intricacies of the London Underground system to him so loudly that I could hear him as he walked past me on the platform, all they way across the footbridge (20ft in the air) and on the other platform which was about 20ft away again.

Perhaps we should plead that phone calls can be made but only in a soundproof box?

The Virgin flights with V:port IFE can already send text messages to the ground.

14. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

The electronic interference thing is actually rubbish, about at take off and landing. That is just so that there is nothing to distract passengers during the most risky moments in the flight, and they could gte out quickly in an emergency, no wires, etc..

15. mpw Guest

I bet you gave the security officers hell when they said they'd only stopped you 'cause you weren't white! Did you consider a complaint or lawsuit?

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't. I only asked them why I have been questioned on 3 occasions in 15 minutes while the white lady to my right was never questioned once. I'm chinese.......in Vancouver.......we're not exactly a high risk group.

17. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I just hate how people use cell phones these days. I mean they can't live with out even twenty minutes with out using it and all they talk about is bull**it.
    I especially hate those "what's up?" calls.
    Free on-board internet access would be cool. It keeps disturbance to minimum, well depends on how load your keyboard is or fans.

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I agree. While I have a cell phone, it gets minimal use. Can't stand people talking loudly especially in elevators at work. I like to mimic the NexTel, "Where you at?" ad when people talk loud.

Let's hope the airlines have a no cell phone section of the plane.