High-Tech Door Better than Star Trek

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Mar 14, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Hehe that is kind of cool. As long as it is fast I wouldn't mind one of those.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I could totally imagine moving my head a little bit as i walked through and banging it on the slats. Who needs a door that only opens that tiny little bit, anyway? It's not like it would keep anyone out more than a door that opened all the way. Granted, it would be fun to show off to friends.
    On their website, they have a picture of a garage door version, now that would be cool!

EDIT: I just watched the video they have demoing it. It isn't nearly fast enough, and the shape of the opening isn't nearly as form-fitting as the picture indicates.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, the first time I saw that door, I instantly recognized that the day I encounter one is the day that one of the bars at waist level will decide to stick shut.

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i cant see this as being anything more than eye candy, and it would probably just slow life down. people usually dont want to have to think about walking through doorways, here you hav to carefully position yourself so that you dont bang your extremities of the bars. i can also see where this thing could get easily jammed if not constantly maintained.

im my opinion, pretty pointless.

S

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope you're single, folks, because you're gonna have to walk single file from now on.

But at least it looks cool. If it ever breaks down, it'll look like someone walked through the wall and put a body-shaped hole in the door. Grrrrrreat!

7. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I want to know how people come up with this sort of stuff.

9. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

too much spare time and boredom make up most of it:D

S

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anybody ever see "Airplane II"? Bill Shatner himself participated in a parody of the famous Star Trek doors. When he'd approach one, he'd go "Shh!" to the door, and the door would open with a Shhhh! sound.

When he'd go through the door and turn around, the door would still be hanging open expectantly. He'd say "Shh!" and the door would close with a Shhhh! again. :p

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The supposed benefit is that it doesn't allow much heated/air conditioned air to escape. Ever heard of a revolving door, people?

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

R O F L

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was in Banff, Alberta, last month. It was, like, minus 20 degrees, and all the stores had their doors WIDE open. I guess they'd rather pay a massive heating bill than have a few potential customers think they were closed. Not sure this product would help, though.