Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Dear mac rumors team,

would it be possible to install a default and less JavaScript bloated theme?
Since the change from vB to XenForo, my iPhone gets really quick pretty warm. Like in under 2 minutes, it gets warm. After 15 minutes of Facebook app (which is really a battery hog) my phone is ice old.

I'm reading a lot on macrumors but don't like that my iPhone 6 gets that warm while reading on this forum. I've tried for several days to disable JavaScript and my phone was ice cold, how it should be. But without JavaScript, this forum is not really usable.

And please don't give me advices to reset my settings or things like that. It's only macrumors forum where this happens. And if you read a lot on this forum, you'll notice it.

Thanks in advance.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Odd, usually not experiencing this on my iPhone 6 even after longer times (more than half an hour for example).

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Dear mac rumors team,

would it be possible to install a default and less JavaScript bloated theme?
Since the change from vB to XenForo, my iPhone gets really quick pretty warm. Like in under 2 minutes, it gets warm. After 15 minutes of Facebook app (which is really a battery hog) my phone is ice old.

I'm reading a lot on macrumors but don't like that my iPhone 6 gets that warm while reading on this forum. I've tried for several days to disable JavaScript and my phone was ice cold, how it should be. But without JavaScript, this forum is not really usable.

And please don't give me advices to reset my settings or things like that. It's only macrumors forum where this happens. And if you read a lot on this forum, you'll notice it.

Thanks in advance.

It seems strange to think that MacRumors Javascript alone is causing your iPhone to get warm. Anyone else noticed something like this?

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I do a fair amount of browsing, not too much posting, on the iPhone 5S and I haven't noticed any impact on the battery or heat with the new platform.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
It seems strange to think that MacRumors Javascript alone is causing your iPhone to get warm.
I know, but mr is the only site that I visit with XenForo and it's known that XF uses a lot of JavaScript.
I'll try another reset all settings and see if it gets better. Unfortunately mr isn't usable with Tapatalk for me, there was a pretty bad update from TT and it's just bloated and confusing to use Tapatalk.

Will report back if it gets better after resetting all settings on my iPhone 6.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Don't know how you guys can use tapatalk. There is zero overview in this app. Deleted right after that update and tested it last week for one day. Nothing has changed in terms of overview.

@arn I've resettled all my settings. It's not getting that warm like before, but still getting noticeable warmer then surfing on other sites or reading for longer time on the main page.

Maybe it's not due to XenForo but more due to ads?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.