Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
It did unfortunately.

Even Tim Cook admitted it.

Tim Cook admitted nothing of the kind.

From your link:

Chief Executive Tim Cook admitted on Monday that sales of the iPhone 5c represented a smaller mix of total handset sales than his company anticipated.

The fact that the mix sold didn't sync with what he thought they might is a far cry from declaring the phone a failure.

So either reading comprehension isn't your strong suit or dishonesty is.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
So if the 4.7" got sapphire and the 5.5" didn't would all the phablet lovers just "suck it up" and not complain? It's easy for people who are getting what they want to tell others to "suck it up". ;)

Given that sapphire is a really bad material for a phone display, I certainly would "suck it up" and get the 5.5".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If they are committed to making the best products, they should be in all of the phones.

I don't see how making a state-of-the-art model with Sapphire, and then lower models w/o it diverges from your above sentiment. Apple can make great products all around even while some are more cutting edge or desirable than it's siblings, just like other aspirational brands.

Example: Retina was in some, not all iPads. Still is the case. The non-Retina iPads still sell well because some consumers will only products at a certain price. Companies have to be flexible in this economic environment.

Apple also does it with the iMac, with only the most expensive model being able to get the best graphics cards and processors it makes available.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
A larger screen with sapphire doesn't make a phone "pro". If Apple purposely restricts the best materials and specs based on screen size they will piss off a lot of people. What if I want sapphire display (and am willing to pay for it) but don't want a phablet? Since we've seen hardly any leaks for 5.5" device I'm highly skeptical it exists. You might be right about 16GB still being base model but I think that's stupid as well. Keep that for the low end/free on contract model and start the flagship model at 32GB.

I agree somewhat - though like the rMini versus the Air, I could see a few added benefits being packed into the 5.5" that make people think about it.

The Note has better internals than the GS5. I've had this argument with others - so long as the 4.7" is being updated too I really don't see the issue.

But as far as sapphire is concerned, I think the only reason we might see it only on the 5.5" this year and not the 4.7" is because of yields similar to the iPad mini versus the iPad (9.7") when it was first released.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
I paid 700 euro which is a bit more of 800$ for 16gb iPhone 5s. How much more they want? You can get a MBA for that money ffs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Given that sapphire is a really bad material for a phone display, I certainly would "suck it up" and get the 5.5".

How so?

And you re not really sucking it up because sapphire isn't something you want anyway. What if the 4.7" model had the better camera technology?

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
This kind of idiotic dreck has no business being on the front page. Nothing is confirmed, and everything is left open with careful wording.

There hasn't been a single leaked 5.5" part. It doesn't exist, and the only reason anyone thinks it does is because of garbage "reporting" like this that claims nonsense without any facts whatsoever.

It's one thing to be a rumor site. It's another to just post nonsense without any basis in fact whatsoever.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Although I like the iPhone 5C and the idea of a lower cost device, it seems unlikely that Apple will have a lower cost iPhone, a "normal" iPhone and a higher cost iPhone, all with different screen sizes, making for like 6 different models.

What if Apple is going to drop the 5C/6C low cost idea, and instead have a higher cost iPhone while slightly dropping the price of the "normal" iPhone.

So you'll have a normal iPhone 6, with Gorilla Glass and the features we're expecting and the usual screen size, and then you'll have two versions of the iPhone 6 "pro" or something that has sapphire and 2 bigger screen sizes.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
So i paid €700 last year in Belfast for a 16GB iphone travelled up from Dublin since the Irish release date takes forever, how much more can it be like €700 is crazy as it is for a phone even though i swear by my iPhone :) but more money just seems crazy to be honest

Apple will NOT raise the price of the iPhone. They are not stupid enough to remove one argument for buying Android (larger screen) and replace with with another (price).

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
How so?

And you re not really sucking it up because sapphire isn't something you want anyway. What if the 4.7" model had the better camera technology?

Sapphire is brittle, less transparent, heavier, more expensive. Although I'm perhaps being somewhat of a wise-ass here. I take that most people are referring to some sort of a composite laminate when they talk about "sapphire", which could indeed be a great material for phone displays.

As for the camera, my work phone is a Lumia 1020, so I'm not really expecting Apple to have anything comparable there...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree somewhat - though like the rMini versus the Air, I could see a few added benefits being packed into the 5.5" that make people think about it.

The Note has better internals than the GS5. I've had this argument with others - so long as the 4.7" is being updated too I really don't see the issue.

But as far as sapphire is concerned, I think the only reason we might see it only on the 5.5" this year and not the 4.7" is because of yields similar to the iPad mini versus the iPad (9.7") when it was first released.

You may be right re: yields. And I'm certainly not arguing Apple should make a 5.5" device a worse product just so it's not better than a 4.7" device. But I don't see what difference screen size makes as to whether the display is sapphire or not. That's just artificial differentiation to me. Adding features to iOS that take advantage of the larger screen? I have no issue with that.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The difference is the iPad mini didn't launch at the same time as the retina iPad. Could be the first model didn't get retina because Apple didn't have battery life and thermal considerations figured out yet. Or the price point would have been too high.

Even if there are yield issues with sapphire I think Apple should still make it available to all flagship models, just limit it to the most expensive model. That way the only consideration is price and you don't have to compromise based on screen size. Apple basically did away with that compromise with iPads; would be a shame for them to reintroduce it with iPhones.

I don't think the 5.5" iPhone will launch at the same time as the 4.7" iPhone either.....

And I think Apple will quickly do away with the difference the next generation. I just think if we are getting some sapphire display, it'll be split by line rather by storage space.

You could say the same thing about those who want a 32 GB phone but also want sapphire. Do they just have to "suck it up" and pay more for the 64 GB just so they can get sapphire?

Honestly, it would make the most sense if all this sapphire business was purely related to the iWatch and NONE of the iPhone models got sapphie displays this go around. Next year, they all would (well, all the new models would).

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Here is my "confirmed" guess

iPhone 6 (4.7")

32 GB $199/$649 No sapphire
64 GB $249/$699 Sapphire
128 GB $299/$749 Sapphire

iPhone Air (5.5")
32 GB $299/$749 No sapphire
64 GB $349/$799 Sapphire
128 GB $399/$849 Sapphire

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sapphire is brittle, less transparent, heavier, more expensive. Although I'm perhaps being somewhat of a wise-ass here. I take that most people are referring to some sort of a composite laminate when they talk about "sapphire", which could indeed be a great material for phone displays.

As for the camera, my work phone is a Lumia 1020, so I'm not really expecting Apple to have anything comparable there...

Ok then what if there was something you really wanted but Apple restricted it to the smaller display just because, for no apparent reason. You'd still suck it up no complaints?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You may be right re: yields. And I'm certainly not arguing Apple should make a 5.5" device a worse product just so it's not better than a 4.7" device. But I don't see what difference screen size makes as to whether the display is sapphire or not. That's just artificial differentiation to me. Adding features to iOS that take advantage of the larger screen? I have no issue with that.

It is artificial differentiation to you and I. But to Apple, who might have better profit margins on the 5.5" and therefore more room to work with, it might make sense.

Luckily, we get to find out the TRUTH in less than 4 weeks.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Whats the most you guys would pay for a premium phone? I see a lot of people on here complaining all the time. Nickel and Dime.

Personally, if the 5.5 started at 399 and went up to 599....I wouldn't complain. Nor do i think i would complain at entry level 499 pricing if the phone is stacked with high end parts. 2GB, 13MP Camera, Sapphire, etc.

You meant subsidized price which is $450 less. So, your OK prices will be: $849 and $1049 for 5.5" version if it's true...unless Phil Chiller smokes something, this will not be the price he wants to set in the competitive market.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Very silly statement. You want the ultra premium product - you pay the premium price. If the non-saphire screen floats your boat then you don't pay for the premium.

Very silly statement. Sapphire should not be a premium item, it should be standard.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What fire sale? I must've missed this....I bought a 5C on early upgrade for $349. At that price it was worth it to me.

Walmart, Target, etc. all were heavily discounting earlier this year to reduce their inventory.

Your link is 404. But see mine: http://www.zdnet.com/tim-cook-justifies-missed-iphone-sales-estimates-7000025625/ Cook does a lot of corporate double take for it didn't meet our expectations. Keep in mind Apple does not release projections for specific iPhone models or actual sales, it's just "iPhones." But not hard to do the math based on previous years. Apple did admit iPhone sales were disappointing. That's because the 5C didn't grab enough buyers.

Tim said they saw much more folks picking iPhone 5S than iPhone 5C. Which is probably because of the high cost, it should've been free or 99$ on contract and 299$ on sale.

Yes, but that was my point that the 5C didn't sell well initially because of it's high price point -- Apple expected to wipe Android off the matt with the 5C in emerging countries, and it did not. People by a large ratio bought the model that was $100 more instead.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think the new iPhones are going to be more expensive, even the base 4.7" screen one. Apple isn't about increasing the size and keeping the same prices on anything. I think we'll be seeing the top phone being over $1000 for the first time.

Except of course when they released the iPhone 5 without a price increase??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.