Highlighting in preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Feb 11, 2006.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there anyway to highlight pdfs in preview. I do not like using those red ovals. I mean I can select the text and is light blue but there is no way to get that to stay. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the answer is "No," but I'd love to hear an alternate answer. You can always get Adobe Acrobat Reader.... I like that feature a lot, but I don't think I will get Acro Reader just for that. :(

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No I tried. But Acroreader is free.

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

link please? the site I looked at required a membership in order to get the free download

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To get Acrobat Reader? What site did you try? Select your OS version and click the download button.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Acrobat reader is good, but when it installs it makes itself the default reader for all pdfs. To reverse this (if it annoys you as much as it annoys me) you need to do two things ...
    1. "get info" for a pdf (any pdf), scroll down to the "open with" section and replace Adobe reader with another reader of your choice (I prefer Preview because it loads faster) then click "change all". This makes the default reader Preview but does not preclude you from opening a given file with Adobe reader for markup.
    2. Abobe reader inserts itself as a toolbar in your browser. This annoys me as well. To get rid of it you need to go into Adobe reader preferences, go to the Internet tab, uncheck all the boxes, close preferences, close Adobe reader, and restart your browser.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have to do anything special to prevent Acrobat from being used as a plug-in to view PDFs in the browser, or is that subsumed in your directions?

God, one of my biggest peaves on Windows is how Acrobat pops up a window way in the back, that isn't seen by the start bar, telling you an update is available, and appearing to "crash" MSIE or Firefox. Ugh. :(

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

OK thanks for all the help. However, I see that my pdf's are not enabled for commenting. How do I get them to be enabled? I create my pdf's from websites and then go to the print screen and select save as pdf. So I guess my question is how do I get these to become enabled for commenting? Thanks

9. Chris1205 macrumors newbie

Highlight In Preview

I bought Snow Leopard in hopes that they would fix this. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. I guess it's ovals or nothing. Apple, are you listening??

10. microstructure macrumors newbie

In preview select the text you want to highlight: go to Tools -> Mark Up -> Highlight Text

Leopard 10.5.8