Highschool Classes?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by marioman38, Mar 28, 2007.

1. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    I have to choose which clases to take for my sophmore year in highschool... I want to take clases that will help me out when i go to collage for film making.

I've been told i need to take 2 years of language to get into a good collage.
    Is this true?

I'll be taking Photography III and Video Production I as 2 of my electives, and a language would fill up the rest (2 semesters)...

Any help as to which Math, Science, and Language classes would be benefical? (I'll be taking Algebra III/IV and Biology as required for sophmore year, but what math/science would help after that?)

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Yes...highly recommended. Depending on what college you end up in, they may require you to take more classes once you get in.

Any language will help, I'd say Spanish is the easiest. However, if you don't like reading subtitles, you'll benefit most from French because you'll probably be seeing more French language films than any other in your film classes.

Depending what kind of films you are making, a little Physics knowledge couldn't hurt. Be sure to talk to your counselors also, I'm sure they could give great advice especially if you have particular colleges in mind.
  3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    unless you live in Maine or Washington (the state-which I see you do) Spanish is probably more useful living in the u.s. or even the western hemisphere, but if you frequent Canada or Europe then french wouldnt hurt
  4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    From my experience entering into Computer Science and Computer Security:

Take the hardest classes you can possibly take. As long as your putting in the effort, you will get at least a C. Colleges are not stupid when they look at your transcript. Getting a C in something like Freshmen General Science is far worse then getting a C in AP Calc 2.

Getting a C in Calculus 2 is better then not taking it, IMO.

I am happy as hell that I challenged myself in Math when in High School. I took calc in college and people who had never seen it were losing their hair verse people that took it in high school that had a much easier time.

I totally regret not taking my High Schools programming class because now I am losing my hair.

Many colleges do look for 2 years of a foreign language, I would say that 80%+ require it. Check with the colleges you may be interested in, you will find that they list the requirements.

But, take as many advanced courses as you possibly can, IMO.
    It will pay off in the long run, or at least in my experience it did/would of.

PS. It does not matter which language you take cause in 5 years you'll probably forget you even took a language if your not going to put it use.
  5. marioman38 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thanks for the imput... I forgot to say that i get to participate in the Running Start program starting next year, which means i get to take courses at our local community collage during highschool, without paying any tuition...

Not sure if there's any courses there that would help though...

Green River Courses

They have "movie making" using Winblows Movie Breaker
  6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    I had a similar program called "Dual Enrollment"

It all depends on what type and caliber school your attending.

If you plan on attending a liberal arts school that will accept credits from a Community college, then start getting you Gen Ed's out of the way.
    I took English 101 because I hate English and did not want to worry about it later.
  7. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Apr 12, 2005
    Outer Space
    This will sound totally boring, but on a practical side, you may want to consider Accounting or Business Management to help you get things done on a production.

For a creative route, I'd take Art for the fundamentals of composition. Psychology could be interesting.
  8. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I would just take as many college classes as you can so when you get to college, you can take the ones you really need to start. Your electives seem like they will help you out. Just acquire as many college credits as you can in highschool assuming you can handel the work and get good grades. I don't know what your situation is as far as grades etc, but take the harder classes. Since I took AP Calc in HS and passed the test with a high score, the local university waived my calc 1 and 2. Also, by taking all those college credit classes, you can recieve the benefits of not being a freshman when you enroll. And last, you don't have to pay tuition on classes that you decide to take at high school. Normally just a small fee.

Also look at some of the programs at the Universities, most will show you a general schedule of classes that you would take over the 4 years. Look at that list and then use it to select the classes at HS that are similar.
  9. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Regarding the language course requirements, doesn't your high school require 2 years for you to get your diploma? The one poster's comment about taking French because you'll be watching a lot of French films was really insightful.

I'm not sure if you school offers it, but with a lot of the movies coming from China being more and more mainstream, you might want to take Mandarin Chinese. I can tell you that the subtitles on these films aren't always perfectly translated.

BTW, I couldn't help myself. You might want to take a course in spelling, too. :D
  10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    Or if you want to work for the CIA/FBI take arabic.
  11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It really doesn't matter honestly. Take whatever looks best on a college application.

12. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You have to remember too that there is more to movie making than just learning the software. You have to learn the "art" of it as well.