Hijacking an Airport express

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asxtb, Jun 8, 2006.

1. asxtb macrumors 6502

I just bought an Airport Express for my iBook and it made me thinking about security. I've currently set it up for the WPA2 personal security. Is that the best one or another one better?

But my main question is what if someone is using an Airport Express/extreme and doesn't know anything about the security feature. Could someone walking by be able to hijack the internet and then set up a password so the actual owner can no longer access the internet without the password?

I am NOT doing this. I just started thinking about it since I bought mine.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

WPA2 is considered secure for any household and other than a VPN connections (not something you can do yourself, requires dedicated servers) there isn't much more you can do to secure the network.

And for the second question, yes, that is very easy to do. However, if the owner finds out it can be stopped. Since they have physical access to the Express all they have to do is disconnect it and reset it back to factory settings to regain control again. I don't know if the Airport Express has it but on all wireless routers I have seen there is a reset button that will force this no matter what.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

WPA2 is, I believe, the strongest form of security currently available... but not all devices support WPA2. If they don't, you'll need to drop down to WPA or WEP, which is the most commonly-supported form of security. (Even WEP is pretty damn strong. You're not going to casually break WEP.)

As long as you choose a good, impossible-to-guess password, no one should be able to hijack your AE. If they DO somehow guess your password, they could take over your AE (although I'm sure there's a factory-reset process for it). Just make sure you pick a good random password... and write it down somewhere.

4. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Just got my thinking. And I looked, yes the express does have a reset button.

Edit: thanks for the replies

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No. No. No. No. No.

WEP is totally and utterly cracked, and a hacker can access your traffic in matter of minutes...

Correction, within a minute:

Link

Use WPA (or WPA2 if you can) with a ~20 letter long non-dictionary alpha numeric password. Then you're as safe as can be. If you also hide your SSID and enable MAC filtering you reduce the chance of an attack further, but without really adding any security as both methods are easily circumvented...

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, I stand corrected. I'd never heard that about WEP before. (Unfortunately, I think some of my gear doesn't support WPA...)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just makes an excellent excuse to have to buy new stuff :D

Was talking to one of our IT guys today who said that when they did a minor security audit last week, 8 idiots in our office had 'password' as their password :eek:

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, in this case I'm thinking of my Roku SoundBridge Radio... they're still working on a firmware update to allow the use of WPA. (I just checked.) Right now it just supports WEP. I think the rest of my wireless gear (2 Macs, 1 Sony notebook, 2 Xbox 360s) supports WPA, but I'm not sure about my PSP (I think it does).

At any rate, situated where I am (roughly 60 feet above street level, in a steel and concrete building), I already know that my wireless signal doesn't reach the street... so I'm not that worried about my network being hacked.

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I know that the Macs and 360s do, but I have no clue on the sony notebook.

Your not? I suspect that at least the 3 people below you, 2 people on either side and 3 people above you can access your network if they really wanted to.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

And if they did, I'd catch it. I do keep an eye on my network, especially IP address allocation.

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Download IPScanner from http://10base-t.com/#ipscanner and keep track of who is using your network. My network is just secured so that casual users can't leech off me.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... you'd have to be in the middle of a cow pasture to hijack my wireless network. And they you'd only have gotten yourself access to a dial-up network! How's that for security?

Oh, and the cows are onery. ;)

13. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I use WEP but really its just to stop my neighbors from stealing my connection-ness. If somebody was parked out front leaching my signal I'd notice, and none of my neighbors ever noticed I was stealing THEIR signal (prior to me fixing our router) so I doubt they can hack mine.

Oh, and the PSP supports WPA.