HILARIOUS Joke on Saddam Hussein....

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Apr 28, 2003.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i watched about 20 seconds of it. wasn't funny at all, so i stopped..

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I enjoyed the song, thank you for the link! Also E.Mailed it to my wife! :p

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Of course you wouldn't find it funny...:rolleyes:

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

is it funny? let's examine it from a comedic standpoint.

first, it's a parody. i find parody to be a weak comedic device, like the little slow brother of satire. satire is where it's at, with all its undermining and such, but there's no satire in the piece.

the lyrics were unfocused at best. in terms of the comedic song, there was no arc, no definitive song structure and it lacked a bridge. the rhymes were clever at times, but many were in there for convenience and didn't add to the forwarding of the song "plot."

the best line was a pun: "let me babylon." puns should be reserved for the worst line.

the strongest part was the ending ("got 'im"). but in comedy, that's known as a denial. denials are useful, certainly, but in this case it undermines the entire song -- undoes all the work, as it were. is it effective? yes, but w/ denial there's usually a way to make it funnier w/o it, should the writer decide to work a little harder.

so, is it funny? that is, of course, subjective. i don't find it funny, maybe because i've heard hundreds of comedic songs just like this. they're easy to write and, ultimately, boring.

the best ones are heavy on satire, have better structure, are better crafted, and have a message. the very best ones get you to question your own beliefs.

btw, i'm a comedic writer.

fwiw, i've seen many bush things like that which i've also found not humorous. just dumb.