Hillary Clinton Jumps in presidential race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I was wondering when someone would make a thread on this Woman running for President. She says she wants to undo everything George has Done. Thats a big undertaking and it needs to be done, George has screwed up almost everything he has touched.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I still think it's a mistake. Voters may be open to electing a woman, but it won't be this woman. She's reviled by too many morons, and has too much baggage (most of which is b.s., but it's still baggage) from her husband's presidency.

Even people who would vote for her admit they don't flock to her because of her charisma, the way they do with Obama.

If she should somehow win the nomination, I see really rough sledding in the future for the Democrats.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, republicans seem to hate her though Im not even sure why. Fox continues to go after her everyday with the likes of Dick Morris. He hates her with every fiber of his body and he was Bill's campaign manager or something.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Huuuuuuuuuuuge surprise. :D

I don't know, whatever happens the Democrats must win the '08 election - they simply cannot afford to lose it.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the entire right-wing noise machine from Fox to Drudge to NRO to LGF just had a collective orgasm at the thought of her as the Democratic nominee...

But I think most people are going to be non-plussed with Hillary unless she quits triangulating and shows some vision and some true leadership. But that involves taking risks, and I don't think she's up to it. Her announcement had all the excitement of a sloth on valium. It was clearly a reaction to Obama's buzz, and she's hoping that she'll eat into some of the news cycle that favors Obama at the moment.

Problem is, all her enthusiasm seems canned, all of her responses carefully calibrated to win her an election, not to give you an idea of what she believes. She should learn from Al Gore's experience. Being a robot doesn't win you elections.

Oh, and what's with the Saturday announcement? I thought Saturday was considered the worst day to do a product roll-out?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There are enough people that hate her to make her lose the election. I think that if she got the nomination that is about the only way that the Democrats could lose the election.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

Although I had a lot of time for Bill Clinton, Hillary wouldn't get my vote (if I could!) for two reasons - one, she voted for the war, and two, I really don't like this US fetish for political family dynasties.

8. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

hells bells, if Condoleezza Rice ran we'd get the first black and first female prez. though I don't believe anyone would vote for her however.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Put Hillary in a room full of male strippers; what would she do?

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i hope she wins just to see bill clinton as "first gentleman"

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

How bad could she be? I think I'd be comforted just knowing Bill was back in the White House :)

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

ok, ya got me, what's the punch line? Don't leave me hangin' here (metaphorically speaking...)

13. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

it's about time. George screw this country, damage a lot. he thinks that there are still tons of bugdet to support military? all of money we pay for. he uses totally stupid way. he sold ours. I really hope Hillary will be president as the first woman president. she will do much better than him. I am sick & tired of watching what George is doing nowadays. now I realize how many morons voted for him 2 years again. he was enough for one term or stayed as governor. he doesn't have any ability to control this country. Hillary will fix everything. I will vote for her if she will be nominated for candidate.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It seems like a wise move to me.

I'd imagine (as I can't see from here in Wales!) that the Hilary Clinton announcement is on the front page of almost every Sunday newspaper (plus the lead story on the Sunday news/talk shows) in the US, and a lot more newspapers around the world.

Considering that this is the weekend before President Bush has his State of the Union address, I'd say it's the first of many smart 'political moves' by the Clinton camp.

15. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I agree.

But as an impartial observer, I think the best (only?) hope the repubs have of winning the next election is if Hilary is the alternative. Unfortunately for the dems, I think she is a shoe-in for their nomination.

It doesn't matter about her talent or abilities etc. She has too much baggage and too many people strongly dislike her. And I mean more than just the repubs. I have friends that are staunch dems (from MA no doubt!) and they loathe her.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I would say jumping out ahead of the SOTU is a bad idea, since come Tuesday all the news will be about the SOTU, not about Hillary. On top of which, Saturday is a slow news day. It's when the bulk of the newsies take a day off.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not the only way. Don't forget, Kerry wants to run again too. :rolleyes:

But then that's a theme: you don't want to run anyone whom the Republicans have already destroyed in the minds of much of the electorate. You're giving yourself a terrible handicap.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think Kerry did a fine job of destroying himself. You are mis-overestimating the republican party and Rove, dont you think? :D;)

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hillary just doesn't come across as a likable person. She does come across as cold and calculating, which doesn't play well with a lot of voters.

A lot of pols spout BS in a folksy way; people know it's BS, but they go along with the game on a sort of, "Aw, he's no worse than the rest of them," or, "Well, he's an okay guy, himself." Hillary seems to change some positions in a rather obvious way, cold and calculated on the basis of, "Well this oughta play well with the unwashed."

And, I'm talking about the general voter's view of candidates, not the issues or political philosophy of any candidate.

Me, myself, I don't care for her politics, generally, nor for her attitude of, "I have THE answer, and you better agree with me or else!"

Then again, outside of Richardson I don't see anybody that particularly leads to any favorable view of them...

'Rat

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

California is about to move its primary election date from June to early February, making it one of the earliest in the nation. This change would probably favor Hillary Clinton and disfavor any candidate who doesn't already have a large war chest and troops already on the ground.

I'm going to be tempted to register as a Democrat just to vote for somebody else.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I wish they would do away with the primary system. Just have an open vote and you pick from the 10 candidates on Election Day.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Like who?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nearly anybody?

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm personally pleased with this announcement.