hinge issues on my macbook black C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mhou001, Dec 16, 2006.

1. mhou001 macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2006
    i noticed a few ppl started threads on a squeaky, creaking hinge, but they weren't really answered.

i have this same problem. i've been using this thing for the past week and a half and the hinge has started to squeak. is this normal? the screen seems to squeak too when i move the hinge.

if apple can do something about it then i'm gonna take it in, unless it's not something serious. it seems like the hinge isn't going to last a very long time. if anyone can help with this, i would really appreciate it.

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Please do not take your computer in for that. Drop a couple little dabs of hobby oil on each side. Problem solved. :cool:
  3. mhou001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2006
    well im just afraid that the hinge is going to become a bigger problem in the future. i just dont want to deal with something worse later on.

anyone else have this problem? did it get better?
  4. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    If the hinge is anything like the powerbook hinge then it will squeak for a while when new unti the seft lubricating bush starts to work properly. My powerbook fixed itself. What I find helped is to open and close the lid a few times repeatedly to wear the bush in.

I have a black macbook c2d and i've not noticed this yet.
  5. PDE macrumors 68020

Nov 16, 2005
    I've had two macbooks with squeaky hinges - both black. I returned both and got replacements from Apple. It's not a BIG problem, but why should you have to deal with it when so many customers - paying the same amount of money - don't? I doubt it will become a bigger problem. It's the plastic of the hinge cover rubbing against the plastic of the main computer casing. I don't think it's the actual hinge that's squeaking - at least it wasn't with the ones I had.
  6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I think the hinge should not squeak. If it squeak, the hinge mechanism is not aligned properly. None of my Macs so far had a squeaky hinge. If I were you, I would bring that issue up with Applecare of Apple Store.
  7. mhou001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2006
    alright...thanks guys.

i guess ill take it to a store to have them look at it.

i am glad though, that i got a macbook. first mac ive ever owned.