Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Posted to macrumors. Haven't gotten any confirmation, but would be an odd thing to make up, with no obvious gain. Also the tiny-code guy appears to be a regular here on the forums.

And the SDK must be coming soon....

if all true, it is kinda interesting Apple has somehow managed to recruit at least some of the developers involved with the unofficial 3rd party apps.

arn

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Apple, allow for 802.1x authentication in 1.1.4! It's ridiculous that I can't use my college's great network. Either build it in, or allow for a 3rd party app to do it because it is a serious oversight.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
If this is true... then i wonder why it's still going to be 1.1.x

What kind of update will warrant a 1.2 or even 2.0 :confused:

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
If this is true... then i wonder why it's still going to be 1.1.x

What kind of update will warrant a 1.2 or even 2.0 :confused:

My guess is that iphone 2.0.0 will be released right along a new hardware release... our iphones will probably never see iphone software update 2.0.0

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Probably seen as pretty humorous by the far less than 1,000 code monkeys available to work on it. Most programmers aren't as thin-skinned as users are. Can't afford to be, especially if they work for Apple, which is infamous for pushing hard and paying low.

:)

The way Apple works, you probably wouldn't know if the guy next to you is working on the SDK, let alone knowing that 999 other people are too.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Ooo that's pretty cool!

What? No, it's not cool! Another developer has been ripped from the iPhone community to be Apple's lapdog for their corporatization of something that should have been in place to begin with.

My major fear here is that there will be no free downloads, even for stupid solitaire or something, it'll be a $5.00 fee even though a developer wants to make it for free right now.

I am very much not in favor of Apple taking over and controlling this process. Tiny-Code said themselves we'd be seeing them on iTunes... Perhaps I'm just fearing the worst, but I've seen what Apple does in the past. Develops a popular product on a maximum-security platform. No one can get in unless they're bed-buddies with Apple.

Remember iPod+HP? HP RAN from that "partnership."

I'm not going to fully bash the system until it's up, running, and I've seen it work, but at this point in time, I am very skeptical/hesitant.

-Clive

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Probably seen as pretty humorous by the far less than 1,000 code monkeys available to work on it. Most programmers aren't as thin-skinned as users are. Can't afford to be, especially if they work for Apple, which is infamous for pushing hard and paying low.

:)

Ouch. Seriously?

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
so, development kit comes out at the end of February. When can we realistically expect some great applications to come out.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
what he said

Apple, allow for 802.1x authentication in 1.1.4! It's ridiculous that I can't use my college's great network. Either build it in, or allow for a 3rd party app to do it because it is a serious oversight.

Ditto to the nth degree! I hate being surrounded by a fast wifi network and not be to use it!!! My school's implementation (right down the pike from you in Worcester) uses WPA2 Enterprise with TLS so we have those darn certificates to worry about. Hopefully Apple or someone would be able to implement this for us.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007

That is when I buy my iPhone. :D

I bought my wife one for Christmas, and she has suddenly become and emailing and texting junky. She almost never used any of her old phones. The iPhone really does appear to alter people's behavior.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
so, development kit comes out at the end of February. When can we realistically expect some great applications to come out.

Probably within a few hours actually. I know I'll be working asap on some ideas I've had for a while.

i was thinking the same thing... doesn't seem like apple would shine too brightly on him advertising his work on an unreleased developer kit for an unannounced firmware. :confused:

Either he got permission from Apple to post about it, or he didn't sign a contract, or he's just being ignorant.

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
What? No, it's not cool! Another developer has been ripped from the iPhone community to be Apple's lapdog for their corporatization of something that should have been in place to begin with.

My major fear here is that there will be no free downloads, even for stupid solitaire or something, it'll be a $5.00 fee even though a developer wants to make it for free right now.

Hopefully it will work in a similar fashion to PodCasts - maybe subscribe to a developer channel to see their apps? Who knows, though...

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Posted to macrumors. Haven't gotten any confirmation, but would be an odd thing to make up, with no obvious gain. Also the tiny-code guy appears to be a regular here on the forums.

if all true, it is kinda interesting Apple has somehow managed to recruit at least some of the developers involved with the unofficial 3rd party apps.

arn

Odd yes, but a base is already installed. Why alienate that base when those programs can be officially ported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.