Hints From iTunes 7.1 (International Movies and AppleTV Games )

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following an examination of iTunes 7.1, some have found hidden gems in the software that indicate or otherwise confirm earlier suspicions about where Apple is heading.

International Movies
    iLounge took an in-depth look at the release, and found support for ratings tags for Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom in addition to the United States for movies and TV shows (when applicable). This find could serve as additional fuel for previous rumors that cited Spring 2007 as the launch for the expansion of iTunes in Europe beyond music.

Apple TV Games
    More than two dozen text strings hidden in iTunes 7.1 related to game management with the Apple TV have been found and reported by various sites. The strings, such as "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV XXX will be replaced with games from this iTunes library." and "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV XXX because they cannot be played on this Apple TV."are further confirmation of comments by PopCap VP Greg Canessa indicating that the Apple TV would indeed support games.

Rumors regarding Apple's interest in the gaming market received a kick-start in December when Prudential analyst Jesse Tortora released a research note stating that he believed Apple would have to offer some sort of console gaming device in order to compete against offerings from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

2. macrumors member

Will Apple TV have 3D hardware?

3. macrumors 604

gkarris

What kind of gamepads (other than USB)?

Will it have Bluetooth like PS3?

This is sort of a given - same type of games as on Tivo...

4. macrumors 6502

As a UK citizen and a soon to be  TV owner, this is absolutley brilliant!!! International movies can only be good, and the thought of anything in addition to the current feature set of the TV gives me a warm, tingly sensation.

5. macrumors 604

gkarris

Retro gaming is becoming popular - nothing really past DOOM...

Bring on the Atari and Williams Classics!!!

6. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

About time. Although I am not buying an ?TV.

7. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Apple + Game console = Happy Matt.

8. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Sonic. Get sonic on there and I will buy it. In fact, don't bother I am getting my megadrive (genesis) out of the box again... :D

9. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I like this news, despite not being interested in an :apple:TV at this time. I think it's great because it further expands the already growing Apple/Mac games market. Also, having lived in the UK before, I fully support the addition of international movies to the iTunes Store :D

10. macrumors newbie

11. macrumors 68040

matticus008

It does, but not on the scale of a modern gaming console, unless they've seriously been holding back on the feature statements (and found a magical way to cool the thing). I wouldn't count on any shooters or lifelike flight simulators, though.

12. macrumors member

I agree totally. They need a 2 joystick gamepad for Robotron! :)

But if they have 3D hardware(only to the level of gamecube) it would open up all sorts of fun games. Anyone play MonkeyBall?

-rich

13. macrumors regular

ampd

I'm not surprised that Apple would want to add the ability for the :apple:TV to play games but I do not believe that doing so will come close to competing with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. From what I imagine, the games on the :apple:TV will just be the iPod games offered, the only difference being you can play them on your TV also.

14. macrumors 603

roland.g

Any gaming on the :apple:tv will be of the Tertris and Pac-Man varieties. Maybe some Missle Command and other Atari type games. An afterthought like the video iPod. It won't be Wii or PS or XBox level gaming. Sorry Hardcore Complaymers.

15. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Don't :apple: hold the patent that controls downloadable media from the internet now?

If they bother to ever enforce it, the :apple:TV could be massive in a few years, and these could be the first steps of its expansion.

Correct me on the patent thing if i'm wrong, but i remember being shocked at how a company could hold such a valuable patent at the time.

MA.

16. Editor emeritus

longofest

Those kind of things would be great to bring to editorial attention using the submission form.

17. macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

Apple NEEDS a gaming console

I'm sure it wont' be the current AppleTV, but Apple does NEED a gaming console. It fits EXACTLY into thier marketshare demographic! Neilson just did a study showing that console-owning households is on the rise, Apple could capitalize on that.
    Now, some will argue that Apple owners are not "hard core gamers," (which I find a bit offensive...), but the argued the same thing when the predicted the Nintendo Wii would fail--and that is a phenomenal success.
    All they need is a proper platform by which the can play the Apple computer games on the TV through AppleTV and they'd have thier "console," if they wanted to add proprietary games later they could.

18. macrumors 6502a

Now, now ladies, lets be fair. These guys had it first. But I'm in agreement that AppleInsider should credit such stories.

19. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Haven't you seen the :apple:TV in the keynotes? That thing can do 3D in 720p.

One rumor about specs also said the :apple:TV had a "nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 video memory (essentially the GeForce Go 7400)" GPU. More than enough for 3D games, possibly even games from about 3-4 years ago.

The limiting factor will be the controller, which will only allow up/down/left/right + 1 button (since "menu" is reserved to go back to the menu). Unless they plan on having USB gamepads compatibility? Apple-branded USB gamepad anyone?

20. macrumors newbie

I'm not saying "i was the first to discover blah blah blah". :)

But it's sad that after we talked about AppleTV Gaming in these forums yesterday it's now reported as an Appleinsider scoop. ;)

21. macrumors regular

A is jump

OMG... The Graphics on Ataris were terrible! I would never have fun on an :apple:tv if the graphics were'nt top of the line :rolleyes:

22. macrumors member

No, I didn't see the keynote. Thanks for the info. the 7400 isn't bad. Somewhere in between last generation and next generation consoles.

-rich

EDIT: Just found this http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2395

23. macrumors regular

Well, they weren't great graphics, but the games were still fun. At risk of sounding like an old man, I'd take a few rounds of low-rez Galaga over the shiniest, three-dimensioniest, 720p-iest mahjong any day.

24. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Keep in mind, I was only mentioning the fact that the :apple:TV interface is in 3D (similar to Front Row and CoverFlow in iTunes). Also, the GPU I mentionned is only a rumor, I don't know if it's true.

However, I'd guess that :apple:TV runs OS X and uses CoreImage, CoreVideo and CoreAnimation, so a good GPU is required.

25. macrumors 6502

if Apple remote can be revamped to be like Wii remote, I will be sold.