Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shez

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Hey

Received my iPhone 7+ and everything works fine but it's hissing. I don't mind the hissing but when I'm recording video the hissing takes over the audio 80% - which renders the video recording function of the device useless.

Apple are now sending me a replacement out and I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with replacement devices?

Thanks

Danjrel

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Hey

Received my iPhone 7+ and everything works fine but it's hissing. I don't mind the hissing but when I'm recording video the hissing takes over the audio 80% - which renders the video recording function of the device useless.

Apple are now sending me a replacement out and I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with replacement devices?

Thanks

That's just a new feature.

Reactions: mykalh78

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
Hey

Thanks
Hi, I have the same problem with my iPhone 7. Its quiet normally and then when I start recording the video there comes the noise. I might be wrong but its camera, near camera there is a back microphone placed and that microphone records the noise of camera. If I put my finger on that microphone to cover it up, the noise is not recorded anymore. To test it I recorded another video with snapchat. Snapchat uses front microphone even when recording with the back camera. So the video and sound recorded via snapchat is perfect, but its not a solution for me. Not for the price of iphone 7...

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
This is not hissing. That's just white noise from the camera mic. It's been said the mic is overly sensitive.

Hi, I have the same problem with my iPhone 7. Its quiet normally and then when I start recording the video there comes the noise. I might be wrong but its camera, near camera there is a back microphone placed and that microphone records the noise of camera. If I put my finger on that microphone to cover it up, the noise is not recorded anymore. To test it I recorded another video with snapchat. Snapchat uses front microphone even when recording with the back camera. So the video and sound recorded via snapchat is perfect, but its not a solution for me. Not for the price of iphone 7...

Reactions: BoneHead001

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hey

Thanks

Even with the replacements, I heard there is still a faint hissing in the background of video's. Appears there is no remedy as of yet.

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
This is not hissing. That's just white noise from the camera mic. It's been said the mic is overly sensitive.
Are you saying that even if I got a new one iphone 7 after replacement under apple warranty there will still be a problem? Is it an issue with all of the iphones 7 for now?

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis
Hey

Thanks
My replacement hissed more.
[doublepost=1476315687][/doublepost]
My replacement hissed more.
I ended up returning it and buying a new one. Finally have a perfect one.

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
My friend bought a 7+ today and omg hissing like crazy... it was week 40 with 10.0.2 installed

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I'm really leaning towards the gain is just turned up too high. My wife has a 6s+ and I recorded a video with the 2 phones at the same time, and while mine had a more pronounced hiss, it also picked up subtle sounds more so than hers did.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Just realized mine has the sound as well. Took me a while to find it though. Not as prominent as others are probably.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Are you saying that even if I got a new one iphone 7 after replacement under apple warranty there will still be a problem? Is it an issue with all of the iphones 7 for now?
This isn't a single problem, All the iphone 7/7+ have overly sensitive mics. Its how they were built. 100% of the display phones tested had it too.

The hissing though is a defect. Mine has no hissing.

Reactions: Duncanator

fre3way

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Hey

Thanks

Did you take the iphone to the genius bar or called apple directly? I am experiencing the same issue and want to swap it out for a replacement.

Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Did you take the iphone to the genius bar or called apple directly? I am experiencing the same issue and want to swap it out for a replacement.

I'm chatting with them right now working on getting a replacement mailed to me.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Who puts their phone up to their ear to hear something? I shot a video zooming in and out and had the flash on while listening to it. Replayed it and listened. nothing.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Who puts their phone up to their ear to hear something? I shot a video zooming in and out and had the flash on while listening to it. Replayed it and listened. nothing.

My 7 Plus is distressingly silent as well. I'm not saying that folks aren't experiencing this problem, though.

Zalewskon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016

Lucky you, Im not that sensitive guy complaining about anything. I had no problems with 5/6/6s. If the phone was only hissing I would accept that. But everytime that hissing noise is recorded on video and its really easy to hear. Ill upload some video later as I have no time to convert it. Standard format cannot be uploaded here :/
[doublepost=1476343084][/doublepost]
It should *not* hiss, iPhones are utterly quiet.
If it makes a sound that obviously shouldn't be there, use your warranty.
The case is not that simple if you buy an iphone from other electronics retailer than directly from apple. Ive already contacted with them. They said Ill get new one, but this will be a version w/o the box. Ofc I will have the box of my current device but it will have different serial numbers than my new replaced device. I dont like that idea.
Full replacement can be made only if I bought it with shipment option. And unfortunatelly I hit this shop the first day iphone 7 was offered there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.