Historic Building to be Demolished

Discussion in 'Community' started by ----Bowie----, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Don’t you hate it when people demolish old classic buildings?

I live in a small town in Ontario Canada on Georgian Bay with a population of about 23 000. It is a tourist town and has a beautiful down town with lots of old classic buildings. Just where the downtown starts is an old school. It was built in 1925, has two storeys, and lots of beautiful brickwork. It was built as a high school, and was turned in to Elementary School in the 1950’s when the high school moved to a new building. The Elementary School moved to a new building about a year and a half ago and the school board put it up for sale. A local developer bought it about a week ago and rumour has it that he wants to demolish it and develop the land. It is protected by a historical district, but the town can counsel give him permeation to demolish it if they want to. It would be a shame to see this building go. Most of the people in town went to school there, and it could be used for lots of things now and is not in bad shape at all.

This makes me so mad!!! How could I help save this building, or is it a lost cause? Has this happened in your area?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

This Deco building in west london got demolished in the 1980s
    [​IMG]
    It was the Firestone Tyre Factory, the developers knocked it down just before the building got a preservation order on it. :mad:

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Some of the old school buildings here in the Boston area are turned into condominiums or senior housing. They are very sturdy buildings and well worth it to remodel.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, obviously the thing was a falling-down piece of crap. :rolleyes:

I hate it when they demolish classic old buildings...but when the buildings are barely even a few decades old.... :confused:

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

YUeah, in Caracas (the capital of Venezuela) and other cities we used to have tons of colonial type buildings from the 1700's, 1800's and early 1900's and by the late 70's and 80's about 90% were demolished to build 80's type buildings with cristal dark windows and 80's style fashing desing.

Today everything look like crap because there is not an actual desing in the cit specially in Venezuela there is not a law that require an architect to be involved in the desing so many buildings are "desingned" by the same engineers and all of them looks like square blocks. And let me tell you that the construction are very cheap made any way.

Caracas that used to be the Capital Of Latin America now is a bunch of inprovised crap :mad:

6. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I hate it when they destroy classic or historical buildings. I hate it when they destroy the oldest of these buildings--forests, valleys, etc. For both historical and archaeological value, and just for style.

7. brap macrumors 68000

Yes. Our architectural heritage is of great importance. Maybe I'm biased though :)
    Since you seem to be quite passionate about this, perhaps there are more. A popular movement against demolition would probably sway local government if it were vocal enough.

8. toaster_oven macrumors regular

call jane jacobs. she lives in toronto. she'll tell you what to do.

no, seriously... go door to door, organize, go to hearings, organize... get everyone all riled up. he's already an enemy, so anything he does will be met with opposition. if you just go around to everyone, you'd be surprised as to how many people are on your side.

after you have a critical mass, recommend some alternatives to demolition: convert the facility into residential units - developers like luxury apartments, or hotels if it's a touristy place... where I grew up they converted the old high school into a retail mall.

even better uses would be a community center, tourist board, or some kind of public space... especially if it is owned by the municipality (unless they just sold it)...

geesh, i thought canadians were more progressive when it came to preservation and planning.

anyway-

organize! fight!

-TO